15 | a trip to sioux falls

sam.

i woke up the day of our flight out feeling refreshed. the sun was pouring in through the window and it entranced me. i climbed out of bed slowly, trying not to disturb gabe as i slipped on a t-shirt and boxers. munchie stretched and yawned before jumping off the bed and following me out of the room, probably expecting some food.

i trailed down the steps lightly. once i got to the kitchen, i pulled munchie's food bag out of the cabinet it was kept in and poured him some food. after that i filled his water, and he lapped it up gratefully.

i started the coffee pot and just as i was turning to look through the fridge for what to make, i sensed someone behind me. i felt gabe's arms snake around my waist and what i assumed to be his lips press softly against my shoulder.

"mornin' sunshine." i greeted.

"morning." he grumbled. he was always grumpy in the mornings and it was adorable. "how do you always manage to sneak out of bed?"

"i have my ways." i said playfully, still searching the fridge. "plus i like having breakfast ready when you wake up."

"but i like waking up next to you." he complained. i smiled before turning around in his arms, a can of biscuits in my hand.

"oh hush, you old sap." i said as he stared up at me with a pout. "go sit down, i'll bring you some coffee. how does biscuits and gravy sound?"

he nodded happily in agreement at the mention of food and went to go sit at the table.

it had been about a month since my birthday party. cool spring turned into a hot california summer. dean moved out of my apartment, using his savings from his old job, and was working on finding a new way to make money. gabe helped me plan adam's memorial out and i made individual calls to get everyone together on a specific date. i planned on not only coming out to everyone as gay but also dropping the bomb that i'd dropped out of law school. for a while i was nervous, but today was the day and i decided not to dwell on it.

every day that gabriel didn't have to work, i would spend the night at his house. i loved every second that i spent with him. our only issue was that he was at work most days out of the week, and i still had no idea where he was going. i didn't want to be nosey but we love each other. we're supposed to tell each other everything, right?

i pondered this as i stirred up the gravy, biscuits rising in the oven. gabriel seemed happy with the arrangement, so i tried not to focus on it. especially right now when we're about to fly out and meet my family.

i set his plate of food and coffee in front of him. i plated my food and sat down as well.

"you know you don't have to do all this every time. i can cook for myself." he said through a mouthful.

"i know, but i want to." i said before taking a bite myself. he smiled and we continued breakfast in domestic silence.

-

"i can't believe dean didn't want to fly with us. i even offered to pay his ticket." gabe said as we got dressed together in his bedroom. we both had all our bags packed and we were getting in some comfy clothes for the three hour flight.

"he's terrified of flying." i replied, slipping some sweatpants on over my bare legs. "he's driving in the impala."

"that thing's a little old to be driving halfway across the country don't you think?" he asked. "i mean, i'd be scared of it falling apart under me."

"god, don't ever say that around him." i laughed. "he worships that car."

we both laughed and finished getting ready. once we were dressed i slung both our bags on each of my shoulders and dragged the suitcases behind me easily. i'd been working out a lot more lately and it was paying off. out of the corner of my eye i saw gabe staring at me in admiration.