Chapter 31: One Bite, One Taste

An explosion of energy and emotion rushed through Kanna's awareness. At first, Kanna didn't realize that it was her body, that it was her limbs that were whipping all around her, and that the sound that throbbed deep in her ears was her beating heart.

It all happened so quickly. It was beyond Kanna's control, as if all of her snakes had hissed a breath of life into her all at once. She launched herself towards the slack of her leash, and she thrust herself over the divide, and she reached for the steering lever that was firmly within Goda's grasp.

Everything was a blur of arms and legs and loud shouting after that. She didn't know what she was doing. Her eyes squeezed shut at some point. Her jaw radiated with pain. The truck swerved back and forth and knocked her to the side, and she felt four tentacles wrapping around her soon after, dragging her back to the flatbed as the rig narrowly missed hitting a boulder on the side of the road.

When Kanna's head hit the metal floor with a thud, she heaved a loud gasp. She awoke from the dream. She looked up to see that Noa and Leina were holding her down, staring at her with shocked expressions, their own chests heaving from effort.

Kanna tilted her head back and saw that Goda had not moved. The giant was sitting stiffly in the driver's seat as before, letting the wind whip against her without any posture of resistance. She had corrected the direction of the truck without a word; it was pointing true again.

What happened? Kanna thought. She blinked. She smacked her lips and found that they tasted like iron.

Then a barrage of sensations and images from just the instant before caught up with her.

She had bitten Goda's hand.

She had sunk her teeth into Goda's knuckles like a dog.

Leina was holding down Kanna's legs—and Kanna only realized then that she was still kicking, the energy of her resistance running like an electric river through her very marrow without her consent. The tears had started to come, too. She was screaming; she was calling out towards the fading sky:

"Goda! Goda, please! I'm begging you! Turn around! Turn around! Please!"

But there was no answer from the giant. The truck rolled on—faster, even. Noa pressed down hard on Kanna's shoulders to keep her from flailing.

Because there was nowhere else for the energy to go—because the only channel for the river was the well-trodden path of resistance—Kanna kept struggling. She knew it was futile; she knew it did nothing; the twins were stronger. Still, she banged her joined fists against the truck floor as hard as she could manage, and she gnashed her teeth, and she growled in frustration.

"Now I know why the porter tied you up," Noa grunted, her look one of astonishment. "You're absolutely insane."

Leina was shaking her head slowly, all the while trying to subdue Kanna as best she could. "Were you trying to run us off the road and kill us all?"

Kanna didn't reply. She turned her head. She felt a wave of sobs rushing through her. She felt the emptiness of death ringing inside of her, and it made all of the snakes dance furiously up and down her spine.

She writhed with them as the light from the yellow sun began to disappear—and instead, it was replaced with the blinding radiance of Suda.

* * *

For awhile, the familiar trees and boulders whipped by the the side of the road. Kanna watched some branches shivering in the wind above her, and she allowed this to delude her that the forests were endless and they would never reach Suda. But these were quickly replaced by signs of human life, by the stone and steel and glass that sprouted from the ground and rose much higher than the trees.