CHAPTER 8

Toronto. Monday, 9:45 A.M.

Kerri rode the elevator to the sixty-fifth floor of The North American Bank Building, a seventy story glass and steel clad structure at the foot of Bay Street, the fulcrum of Toronto's financial district. She was greeted by six foot five inch DanTurner, now sixty-one, yet as regal and dominating as ever in his black pin-striped suit. He hugged her and uttered his condolences. "I am not capable of understanding your pain. You have my deepest sympathies," he whispered.

She returned the hug. "Thanks, Dan. You're very kind."

"Your father said you need help. I'm at your service."

"Can we go somewhere private?"

He led her to his lavishly decorated office in the south west corner of the building. She had seen his commanding view of Lake Ontario ten years earlier, but it still captivated her.

Once seated, Kerri reminded Turner of their meeting in The Loyalist Restaurant, and of Jim Servito's stolen money. She went on to tell him the same story she had told Karen and her father in Muskoka: of the residuals from Servito's 'estate', and of the incredible investment success of Miles Dennis. The deeper she proceeded into her story, the more it amazed Turner. His mouth had opened involuntarily, his grey eyes bulged. "That's incredible! I told your father years ago, and now I'll tell you. The Kings are by far the most exciting clients I've ever had... Please tell me about Miles. Is he still with the company?"

Kerri's expression turned morose. "He didn't make it out," she said, tears streaming down her cheeks.

"I'm so sorry. I know he was very close to you."

"He was the very best friend I've ever had...Now he's gone."

For the first time in his career, Turner had difficulty deciding what to say next. He said nothing, by no means a small achievement for a lawyer.

Kerri stared at him with reddened eyes. "I want to give every dime of that money to the families of the Iacardi employees who died on Tuesday. I would do it directly, but I have no idea what the status of that money is."

"You're an amazing woman. I'm very proud of you. Given the same set of circumstances, I don't think there are many people who would choose the same course of action." The corners of Turner's mouth turned ever so slightly northward. "You're not sure if it's still hot, or not. Am I right?"

Kerri nodded.

Technically, it's not. The Feds have been paid and have signed off on their claim against your father. They were delighted and satisfied then. At the time I don't think they cared if there was any of Servito's money left over. Time, however, has a habit of changing things. Since there was no income tax ever paid on that money, it's likely still categorized as the fruits of crime. Furthermore, you're sitting on a huge unrealized capital gain... Have you ever declared any of this to the I.R.S.?"

Kerri shook her head.

"I'm glad I asked... God knows how much you'll be penalized for failing to file for ten years. In addition, if a half a billion dollars suddenly hits the street, a lot of people are going to start asking questions, including the Feds. They will likely get greedy...Your father and Karen know about this. Does anyone else? Think about it, Kerri. I can't tell you how important this is." He gave her his penetrating stare, leaving no doubt about the sincerity of his question.

"Nobody!" she replied with emphasis.

"Okay. Forgive me. I stressed the importance of secrecy. I hope you understand."

Kerri nodded.

"You still want to do this?"

"With all my heart," she replied without hesitation.