CHAPTER 22

New York, Friday, October 12.

Kerri had recaptured the excitement of a teenager about to attend her first high school prom. She made reservations for two for seven P.M., at Beppe, a cozy new trattoria on 22nd Street, one of New York's best Italian restaurants. She chose it because she loved Italian food and because newspapers had given it rave reviews. She chastised herself for feeling compelled to dress to kill for a date with a man she hardly knew, but on went her most expensive white silk blouse and her black leather Pierotucci skirt and jacket.

Steve, equally excited and dressed in the only decent suit remaining from his corporate days, took a cab from the Javits Center to Kerri's apartment. The sight of Kerri for the first time since his father's memorial service was not disappointing. She was even more beautiful than he remembered. It troubled him, yet intoxicated him.

"Hi," she said, her heart racing and defeating her efforts to slow it. "Welcome to New York and my humble home."

Steve tore his eyes from Kerri and scanned her apartment. "Humble? I don't think so. It's sensational. Next time you're in Muskoka I'll show you a humble home...It's good to see you again. I'm glad you agreed to do it."

Kerri smiled, also happy she had agreed to the meeting, but not knowing how to respond. "We have time for a drink. Would you like one?"

"Sure. A cold beer would be great."

Kerri fetched a Heineken and a glass of white wine, then invited Steve to sit with her at her elegant glass topped kitchen table. She clinked his glass with hers. "Here's to continuing our conversation," she said, sensing guilt over her compulsion to stare into Steve's eyes. Sharing a common and unique bond with him afforded her a measure of relief from that guilt.

"I've been looking forward to it. This time we won't have any interruptions...The first thing I want to do is apologize for going on about myself and not asking any questions about you. I was so busy talking about my own personal grief that I didn't give you a chance to talk about yours. I had no idea that..."

"There's no way you could have known," she interrupted. "Besides, my father and Karen didn't give you a chance."

"How are you coping?" he asked.

Kerri frowned. "I'm in the fight of my life. That's the short answer. The long one would take all night."

"I don't care how long it takes. I'd like know about it."

"Then let's go to dinner. I'll get started there."

It was no surprise to Steve when they entered the restaurant and everyone turned to stare at the blond beauty accompanying him. He knew she had become a celebrity, but still sensed that Kerri's beauty was the real attraction. They were led to a secluded corner table, and after they were seated, Steve ordered a liter of Malbec, the house red wine. Again they clinked glasses.

"Are you Canadian?" Steve asked.

Kerri nodded. "I was born in Toronto. Then my parents split before I was old enough to know what was going on. My mother was awarded custody and moved to San Diego soon after the split. Her relationship with the man she followed there didn't work out, so she moved to Vancouver. That's where I grew up."

"I've been there. It's an incredibly beautiful city...How does a Vancouver girl end up in New York?"

"I married an athlete. He was very good at playing football. He was so good he became the quarterback for the New York Jets."