CHAPTER 81

Dazed, but still alive, Mengalli heard the loud blast of a horn. He opened his eyes to see a pair of headlights heading straight for his legs which were still stretched over the white line separating the shoulder from the westbound passing lane. With considerable effort and pain, he managed to roll onto the shoulder within seconds of having his legs crushed by the weight of the approaching car. He glanced at his right hand, miraculously still clutching Neiman's Sig. He hoisted his body to a sitting position, then used his left hand to wipe his face. The glove was covered with blood when he looked at it. He gazed eastward and saw the police Crown Victoria, at least five hundred feet away, its motor still running and its red and blue lights still flashing. Numerous cars were slowing to examine the scene. He stood, hobbled across the highway and continued along the shoulder to the dead trooper's body. He relieved the trooper of his Glock 17, then dragged his body into the ditch beyond the highway's shoulder. Satisfied the the body could not be seen by passing motorists, he staggered back to the Crown Vic. He climbed in, jerked the gear shift into drive, and rocketed onto the highway, hoping to catch up with Kerri King and her boyfriend.

He had almost reached the speed limit when he glanced to his left and saw what appeared to be his rented Cadillac, traveling in the eastbound lanes. He stared at it until it passed and he saw its compressed rear section. It was too dark to see the occupants or its tags, but the damaged rear was sufficient evidence for him to make a decision. He knew if he was wrong he would likely lose his prey, but he would still be alive and able to complete his assignment at a later date. To continue the pursuit, however, involved great risk. Every second he spent in a damaged and stolen police vehicle represented a greatly heightened exposure. His safest move by far was to abandon the police car escape into the night on foot, but time was his enemy. Kerri King and her boyfriend could now identify him as the killer of the the New York State trooper. They had to be killed, soon. He had never failed to complete an assignment. He was determined to continue with that record. He made his decision.

He jerked the steering wheel to his left and drove the Crown Vic across the grassy highway median, leaving two huge ruts in its wake. He rocketed onto the westbound highway and accelerated to a hundred miles per hour. The race was no contest. The vehicle Mengalli drove was a CVPI, a Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, equipped with a super-charged engine, specifically designed to combat aggressive driving. He caught up with the white Cadillac in less than ten minutes. He was delighted to see the Ontario license plate attached to the compressed rear of the vehicle.

Kerri glanced at her side mirror and saw the fast approaching police vehicle, its red and blue lights still flashing. "There's a police vehicle behind us. I think he wants us to stop."

"No," Steve groaned as he looked at his rear view mirror. He was about to apply his brakes but stopped when he saw the heavily damaged grill of the CVPI. Terror sent a shock of adrenalin through his system. "That's the same police car we just left in the westbound lane. I can't see who's driving it, but I'll bet it's our friend," he said, then slammed his foot on the gas pedal, widening the separation between the vehicles.

Mengalli quickly caught up with the Cadillac and moved the CVPI to a position parallel to and to the right of it. He rolled his window down and pointed the dead trooper's Glock 17 at Kerri's head. Steve pounded the brake pedal, causing the Cadillac's wheels to squeal against the pavement, and Mengalli to miss with another shot, but not by much.

Mengalli also applied his brakes and brought the CVPI to a complete stop, no more than a hundred yards in front of the Cadillac. He was excited and energized. He had his prey almost exactly where he wanted them. Both vehicles stood motionless, motors running. The standoff continued for several seconds until Steve and Kerri saw the tail lights of the CVPI brighten. Its driver had shifted into reverse.