CHAPTER 32

New York. Friday. 2:00 P.M.

Kerri took a taxi back to her Park Street office. She entered the building and was traversing the newly furnished lobby when a tall man she didn't recognize approached her. He was neatly dressed in a black pin-striped suit and black tie. His black hair was cut short. He wore dark sun glasses and carried a legal sized manila envelope.

"Excuse me," he said, causing Kerri to turn and face him. "Are you Kerri King?"

Kerri nodded. "Who are you?"

"My name is Matthew Klein. I'm a process server for New York County." He handed the envelope to Kerri. "This is for you. You've been served," he said, then hurried from the building.

She glanced at the envelope and saw that the sender was Madison, Bolt & Stortz, LLP, Barristers and Solicitors. Her heart sank. She knew she was holding the lawsuit to which Andrea had referred, and which Peter Tavaris had promised. To confirm it, she opened the envelope, removed the contents and scanned the first page. She saw herself listed as The Defendant, the Iacardi Shareholders listed as The Plaintiffs. Willful Negligence and Breach of Duty was specified as The Cause of Action. One Billion Dollars was listed in The Statement of Claim.

Even though she expected the lawsuit, the disappointing reality of it hit her like a freight train. She was being sued by the people she had committed her life to help. The words blurred as a cold sweat bathed her body. The implications shook her to the core of her existence. She removed her cell phone from her coat pocket and dialed Marsha Cooper's private number. Marsha answered before the second ring.

"I need to see you, now. It's urgent," Kerri said.

"I can't. I'm with clients. Just tell me what it's about."

"I'm being sued."

"I'll see you in thirty minutes."

Kerri hurried upstairs and told Louise Markel-Townes where she was going and not to expect her for the remainder of the afternoon.

Marsha took several minutes to examine the document, then peered at Kerri over her reading glasses. "I presume this didn't make your day," she said with a sympathetic smile.

"It hurts, Marsha. I knew it was coming, but it still hurts like hell. I'm killing myself trying to do the right thing, and I feel like the whole world is lining up to stop me."

"Obviously the Iacardi shareholders are. Just a quick look at this suit tells me they have a pretty good case. You're standing between these people and an awful lot of money." She squinted at Kerri. "Work with me. Why are you doing this? You're already a very wealthy woman. By my calculations you could walk away from the Enerco sale with ninety million. Why wouldn't you just take the money and get on with your life?"

"I agree. The shareholders do have a good case. If I don't sign the Enerco offer, they don't make a lot of money, and they can correctly say that I've neglected my duty to them. If that was the only part of my duty that mattered, I'd sign that offer in a heart beat. Unfortunately, it isn't. I also have a duty to the employees, and that matters to me. Three hundred and thirty-eight of them died on September eleventh. Their families lost their breadwinners. One hundred and seventeen of those employees didn't own a single share of Iacardi stock. If I sign the Enerco offer, their families will end up with nothing...I can't and I won't let that happen."

Marsha gave Kerri an approving smile. "You're a hell of a gal. I'd go to war with you anytime...I presume you want me to do that."

Kerri nodded. "I do, but it's not the only war. There's another one, and it could be nastier than the lawsuit. It's a long story. Before I give it to you, I need to know that I enjoy lawyer-client privilege."