Chapter 24: Wake Up

I'm in a lab... I look around, then down at myself. How did I get here?

Where am I?

Who am I?

There are people in labs coats walking all around me. They're talking, muttering something about cells and the progress within the eggs, how everything will be coming into play soon.

Eggs?

"Professor," Someone says, and I turn to them, tipping my head to the side.

"Yes?" I ask, blinking. I'm a female. I sound Scottish, I think. There are no mirrors around for me to check and see what I look like.

"Professor, I know the project was only supposed to have four test subjects, but recent developments suggest that we could possibly create a fifth, one that's stronger than all the rest."

I laugh. "Well, of course we could. Each newest creation is stronger than the last, but we only require four-"

"If we create a fifth, we might be able to get them to have the hive mind you wanted."

I straighten, although I'm not sure why I'm so intrigued, or nervous. "That's very risky. To do so could put all of them at risk. It would only work if we timed it perfectly, if we programmed their DNA, if we flipped the switch at the right time, if the youngest was at least, I don't know-fifteen? And they'd all have to be alive or else it would fail. The connection they have to each other, or-or any human being could be drastically altered."

The woman nods. "I know. It's a combination of mad science and-and magic, unimaginable power, but if it succeeds, we would have a team of five super soldiers, able to do things the world could never imagine. If something were to happen, if a Third World War were to break out, or a nuclear attack, this team would be able to... They could save us. They could take an entire country in one night. Professor, I know it's not my place-"

"You're right, it isn't," I snap. Why am I snapping? What are we talking about? It's as if I'm saying things that I don't understand... Why?

"I was just wanting to suggest this since you said you believed we were missing something within the project."

I sigh and pinch the bridge of my nose. "If this goes wrong, it could permanently destroy their minds. They could go mad, or it might open doors for... other things to get in."

She nods. "I understand. It's your call, Professor. You're the one who started this project, but if we create a fifth, then she could be the leader the team needs. She could be the one that makes this team unstoppable. You just have to give us the word and we'll create her."

"When will the first egg by implanted?"

"The mother is scheduled for the IFV in four months. If successful, which we very much hope, the baby will be born sometime in November of 1984."

I hum, my mind trying to process it all, but I can't. It's like words are just spilling out of my mouth, too quick for me to truly understand what I-whoever this scientist is-is talking about. "Yes, four months should give us enough time to create and connect an egg to the others. We will have to monitor this one, since it's new, but if we can make it... her as powerful as you say, then Project Feive will be a great success."

"And we will space them every few years?"

"Yes. I want to monitor the growth of this first child, wherever country it is she's going to be born into. You said France, did you not? Monitor her for a year or two, and if she's progressing well, we'll give the next egg a try. It'll be quite a few years before the final one is born, but I knew when I started this project it would take a long time for the seeds of my work to come to fruition."