Dancing In The Rain

Aziraphale shuffled in his chair, staring into the deep crimson world of his wine glass as it swirled.

He sighed in irritation to himself and tugged on the sleeve of his suit and peered down at his watch.
2:58 pm

'Damn it, Crowley, ' The angel muttered under his breath. 'an hour late. My word' Aziraphale raised his hand to pick up his glass that glimmered in the candlelight of the restaurant. He polished off the wine in one quick swallow, dabbed his lips with a napkin, paid the bill and rose from his seat. He thought that Crowley would do this. The angel stood there in thought for a minute and averted his gaze to the front window.

There he stood. His beloved demon. 'Crowley?' Aziraphale said to himself, only a little too loud, drawing attention.

Flustered, he muttered an apology and briskly walked out of the restaurant. Tiny drops of rain began to fall and grey clouds infested the sky, hiding the sun. The streets were bustling with people; couples, families, lonely people.

'Crowley?' Aziraphale called out into the street, pushing through crowds as politely as he could. A wave of hurt washed through him, bringing the angel to a halt. He felt his wings threaten to unfold. He sighed. He loosened up, cracking his neck and rolling his shoulders. He felt his wings expand and settle loosely behind him, hidden from human eyes.

Usually, he'd be able to control their activity, however now was not one of those times. Right now it was an emotional time. Salty tears mixed in with the rainwater trickling down his rosy cheeks. The sharp, bitter cold forcing blood to rush to his cheeks and the tip of his nose.

Aziraphale sensed the presence of something or maybe someone?
Specifically, his someone.

The angel spun around quickly and was faced with a body, he cleared the rain from his eyes and saw a dripping hand then a drenched velvet jacket that leads to leather trousers.

It was Crowley. With his blackened wings out in the open, or, as in the open as they could be when only the angel could see them.

Without hesitation, Aziraphale leapt up at the figure and pulled them into a soggy embrace. 'Where on earth were you' He heard his raised voice quiver. 'Why didn't you show! I was worried sick. I thought- I thought something had happened to you!' He suddenly realised that he was clinging to Crowley's figure, and he scolded his soft nature, straightened up, and faced his demon.

'Don't worry so much. Angel. I wasn't with anyone.' Crowley said, trying desperately to reassure Aziraphale. As a reward, he got  a sudden slap to the face. He had hit him.

'Where the hell were you?' Aziraphale shouted, his palm tingling.

To the angel's surprise, a look of hurt slithered onto Crowley's face as he brought his hand up to his cheek, where a palm-sized welt threatened to show.

Sympathy flooded Aziraphale's features, and he stepped closer to the demon. 'Im sorry for hitting you. I'm sorry for shouting.' Aziraphale whispered 'I- it's not like me.' Aziraphale's lips curled into a sad smile, and he stared lovingly into Crowley's eyes, begging for forgiveness.

'Oh, don't look at me like that.' Crowley said softly smiling. He wasn't angry. He was happy to finally see his beloved angel.

Crowley wrapped his arms around Aziraphale's shoulders and pulled him into a passionate kiss. When they separated Crowley spoke first, 'Angel, look at me. I'm fine' he patted himself up and down showing Aziraphale 'not even a scratch. I'm sorry for worrying you, I slept in' Aziraphale rolled his eyes and wrapped his arms around the demon's waist.

The pair could feel their faces heating up. Aziraphale started humming and then swaying lightly. It was 'After Hours' one of the angel's favourite songs, and by the Velvet Underground, one of Crowley's favourite bands. The demon pulled away, softly singing the lyrics.

' If you close the door, the night could last forever, Leave the sunshine out and say hello to never.' Crowley sang, waltzing in the middle of the street, wrapping his wings around Aziraphale. His feathers rustling in the cool wind. 'All the people are dancing and they're having such fun, I wish it could happen to me.'

'But if you close the door, I'll never have to see the day again.' Aziraphale sighed softly, stepping into puddles, dancing with his lover in the rain, his wings soaked. ' If you close the door the night could last forever, leave the wine glass out and drink a toast to never'

Crowley laced his fingers with Aziraphale's and pulled him closer, singing into his hair 'oh someday I know someone will look into my eyes and say, hello, you're my very special one' He pressed a kiss to the Angel's forehead.

'But if you close the door, we'll never have to see the day again.' They sang in unison, lips connecting for a kiss.

Dancing in the rain isn't always ideal, even though it's always quite romantic.

The pair split apart after hearing scattered claps and hushed whispers of 'I wish you would dance with me like that' and 'how lovely' A little boy pointed and said 'look, mummy, they're in love' this made Crowley smile and wave at the child.

Blushing, Aziraphale nodded shyly and thanked the gathered crowd as Crowley grabbed his hand and gently pulled him away.

Walking hand in hand the couple spoke about various different topics, ranging from astronomy to what the point of hedgehogs was. They decided not to question it further after Crowley compared them to sentient pin-cushions.

They reached the Bentley and Crowley offered the angel a ride, inviting him to his place and promising to make it up to the angel for missing lunch by cooking him anything he wanted.

Holding the door open for his angel he smiled softly, how could Aziraphale say no Once inside Aziraphale insisted Crowley to drive safely, to which Crowley replied with 'boring' and proceeded to drive at a safe 89 though the streets of London.