.four

Mason walked into the precinct with determination in every single step. After years of having nothing on Elliot, he finally had someone working underneath him and he wasn't going to allow this girl to die. No, this was a break in the case. Whatever he needed to do to keep this girl alive and talking, so be it.

Witness protection. She would qualify for that, wouldn't she? She needed to.

"Where's Castellani's worker girl, I need to speak with her." He asked Richard as soon as the older man had passed by him. He looked exhausted with his gray hair not even combed back as it would usually be. His button was off too, the side of his collar higher than the other, but Mason didn't bring it up. The guy had a rough night, just like Mason had. The only difference is that Mason was younger and the excitement of it all sent adrenaline through his veins.

"Who? Oh, that Vanessa girl..." He said in sudden realization, his expression turning sour almost immediately. "Listen, Mason..." He started off, Mason shaking his head.

"Don't you dare say it..."

"She's dead." Richard continued, placing the box of papers that he had been carrying down. "I don't know how he fucking does it, they're in the cell all night!"

"There's no way. There must be a cop working for him, that's the only way to explain it!" Mason, now frustrated, slammed his hands on the desk and sat in his chair. "How the hell-!"

Richard just shrugged and looked through the files that were in the box. "I have something for you though. It might make up for this situation."

Suddenly, a file was tossed on on the desk in front of Mason. Confused, he took it and opened it.

"Cyrus Lee Morrison."

"Who-"

"Cyan. From what his foster parents told me, that's what his real name is. Although they haven't seen him in years, he ran away from home when he was young."

Mason sat back in his seat as he looked over the file, a picture of Cyan as a teen in the corner. "How does a foster child end up in the hands of a drug lord?" He muttered mostly to himself. The file on Cyan was scarce considering that he couldn't even be found.

"How do we find him?"

"When he's with Elliot? We probably won't." Richard replied flatly, leaning on the desk. "But apparently he does have friends. Why don't we just find them."

Mason held his head. "And how would we do that? We didn't even know this guy existed until last night."

"Well, Vanessa had a cell phone at the scene. We can go through that first."

With a nod, Mason got up and followed Richard into the evidence room, going through everything until he found the girl's phone.

"His number might not be in there," Mason said as his partner turned the device on and began going through the contacts. For a while, they were just reading names until it had reached the end of the list. There wasn't a Cyan in it.

"Maybe it's codenamed. We get a lot of that."

"We'll run all of the phone numbers and see if anything is recognizable. Also, check to see if she made any outgoing calls while in here."

Richard placed the phone back in the evidence box and nodded as he headed out. "Okay, I'll try to get some of that done today. You on the other hand. Find out more about Cyan. Go talk to his foster parents some more or something. Better yet, go find his friends."

Mason sighed and nodded, knowing that this day was going to be hell. At least at the end of this entire case, maybe he'll be able to catch Elliot.

"Yeah, I'll try to get that," Mason said and walked back out of the room. Going over to his desk, he dropped down, running a hand through the dark strands that had fallen into his eyes again. Opening the file once again, he found the number of Cyan's old caseworker and quickly reached for the phone to dial it.