Eight.

Focusing in on the tapping of my nails on the axe sitting in my lap, I tried to calm my nerves. I had found out that Ragnar had not known of Bjorn's visit here and so he had returned home soon after our feast, riding out with Lagertha's messenger. Lagertha herself had left for Kattegat now too. I was alone. I was beginning to wish I had agreed to Lagertha's offer to ride out with her. Even now I felt eyes stab into my back and all I could think was how lucky I was that it was only eyes.

I sat cross-legged on the outskirts of Hedeby with the wet dirt path only a few meters behind me. I was both afraid to be in the town and afraid to be out of the eyes of those who supported Lagertha. The tall grass tickled my thighs bushing over them softly yet scratching in a way that only made them itchy. My axe lay across my legs metal as cool as the breeze that blew my hair from out of my eyes. I ran my hands through it quickly holding the mass of blonde on top of my head as I glanced wearily over both shoulders. Clouds shrouded the setting sun, cloaking it and the fields in shadow. I turned back to the fields of wildflowers and goats. Soft bleating accompanied the babble of voices behind me and I resumed my tapping on the sharpened blade in my lap.

Lagertha left a few days ago now and should be back anytime now had everything gone to plan. In the time she had been gone I had done little more than train yet still sparing some time to help those who were in need of healing, those who would dare come to me at least. I had come to this spot often to wait for Lagertha's return and with her my feelings of safety. I sighed and eased myself to my feet to begin the walk back to my home.

Sloping and squelching underfoot the sodden pathways made my journey take longer than I had planned despite making a quick stop to my place of healing to check on those who had to stay there overnight. I had wanted to be in bed by now but it was not long before I would reach the main building and therefore my room.

Suddenly my own footsteps were inaudible over the loud splashes behind me. Spinning around in fear, I saw, to my surprise, one of the men who normally turned their back of me running towards me. I prepared myself for a fight but as he neared I could see he was unarmed. I placed my axe back onto my belt. Panicked his hands clamped down on my shoulder, his fingers dug into my muscles and it was all I could do not to wince at his strength.

"Please," he panted, desperation in his eyes, "it's my daughter. Something has happened she's too hot and, and then too cold and,"

Laying my hands on his I looked deep into his eyes. There was something wrong. He wasn't telling me everything but I couldn't say no, especially if someone's life was at stake. There was no time to grab my things, I could make do with what they had in their home for now. Darting around buildings we started moving to less and less populated areas of Hedeby. Mud sucked at our shoes and when he finally stopped outside a door I was panting but also revealed. The man placed his large meaty hand on the door and pushed it open and we both hopped quickly inside. I froze.

There was no one to be seen. There was not even any furniture bar one table at the far end of the room. It was dark, clearly not a home or there would have been a hearth or at least some candles. Everything seemed to be doused in a hue of grey and a cold draft played with the hairs on the back of my neck. There was no daughter here. No one was here except me and...

"What is this?" I asked, my voice shaky.

I got no answer and, as I turned, I heard the man who had so cunningly come pleading for my help chuckle. Extending one huge arm he reached for the door, closing it behind us and that is when I saw the sword hung to the back of it. He scooped it up in one and and turned towards me with a nasty glint in his eyes. His mind had been chewed and mangled by his hatred for outsiders that he could not see past the joy my death would bring him to the consequences of killing me. Like a redwood, he loomed over me. I was close to being under half his height.

I pulled my axe from my belt and gripped it tightly, my knuckles turning white. Adrenaline poured into my blood and my breath quicken. I rocked from foot to foot and swallowed. He walked closer.

He swung for me and I ducked, swiftly diving under his blade. I brought my own axe across to the inside of his thigh where I knew one of the main arteries was but his sword sliced into the way hooking my axe nearly wrenching it from my hands. I stumbled, colliding with the dank wall, using it to steady myself. Filled with fury I pushed myself off the wall with a cry of anger just as his blade bit a chunk out of the wall where my head and been just moments before. We stood facing each other catching a moment of calm before he came roaring for me again bringing his weapon down to embed in my skull. I leapt backwards, falling onto the table behind me and I propped myself up on one hand as he came for me again. This time I brought my axe up to stop him, ensnaring his blade on the curved edge of mine. He pressed into me and I felt my arm begin to shake as he pushed his sword closer to my body. I could not resist him. I flopped back onto the table and with the release of my other hand I placed it onto the back of the head of my weapon. He was above me now. His weight and strength overwhelmed my childish body and the glinting iron came closer and closer to my neck. The blade began to cut into my shoulder. Crying out again I tried to summon one last ounce of power into my limbs but, like my cry, my body was useless.

His eyes grew wide. His expression changed from murderous to shock. His weight shifted, releasing me and with a huge sigh I left myself relax onto the table and my eyes trailed from his face down to the sword protruding from his chest. Clattering to the ground his sword dropped from his hand and with it he too fell sidewards to the dusty dirt floor. Lagertha stood in front of the now open door, blood splattering her face and clothes in a way that made her more beautiful than her makeup ever could. She reached for me and helped my haul myself off the wooden table. I fell into her arms panting and shaking. Calm and soft, she voice echoed in my head but I could not think enough to understand the words. After a moment she let me go.

"Come on." she whispered and guided me back out into the evening light.