Sixteen.

Most days in Kattegat were very similar. There wasn't much infirmary work since most people were on the raid. I had several more vivid dreams of my home and learned about my plants and how best to use them which shifted the focus of my days to gathering rather than watching the 3 boys practicing fighting. I had begun to try and make something to help Ivar but up till now I had only treated wounds or broken bones or illnesses. I helped the body fix itself. I had never tried to soften the symptoms of something incurable.

It was proving more difficult since Ivar refused to cooperate. I had to test my attempts on myself and, obviously, I am not crippled as he is and don't know precisely the pain he's in. Would oral or topical medication work best? I felt I had more questions than answers at this point.

I sighed as I sat back and looked over my most recent attempt. Thus far I had placed several plants into a pestle and mortar and crushed them together with rock salt to help create a paste. I grabbed a bottle of oil and poured it over the leaf paste and then left it to extract the important parts of the leaves. I stood and sighed again before rubbing my eyes in an attempt to pre-adjust them as I stepped from the gloomy infirmary into the afternoon sun.

I had made up my mind to spend more time with the boys today and so I parted from the doorway of the infirmary and started my hunt for the boys. Though I believe they trust my near completely I would still inadvertently find them occasionally hunched over or huddled in an inconspicuous area, speaking in low voices. These are the places I looked first.

I wasn't upset that they felt they needed to hide things from me. Being a Ragnarsson must come with its own hardships and perhaps their secrecy was to protect me. Whether that was true or not, I didn't mind. What I did mind however is how today the boys had seemingly disappeared. All their usual spots were empty and, though I wished I didn't have to, I decided to begin the walk to the forest to check the clearing where they duel.

It was not too far to walk, perhaps only ten minutes but that was quite a long way if they journey would end up fruitless. I plodded along the forest trail, not feeling like I had to constantly look over my shoulder like I did in Hedeby. I hopped lightly over twisting roots and felt a cool breeze caress my face. Small spots of sun that wormed their way through the canopy warmed me if only for a few seconds and they ran over my body. I found myself rather content here in Kattegat.

The clearing wasn't too far now and I took a deep breath to prepare myself for the disappointment of not finding them or worse, finding only one of them and having to be alone with them. I hadn't been alone with any of them since that first night when trying to talk with Ivar and, though I wasn't afraid of him, i'm not sure i wanted more alone time with him anytime soon.

I crouched down behind the fallen tree, breath still held, and peered over into the clearing as I feared there was only one of them. He sat on a tree trunk and sung a sword around him with graceful skill. Still, it was strange that one of the boys would be sitting while fighting as it seemed very ineffective as far as training for a battle. I crept over the tree and as I slowly and silently placed my foot down onto the mossy grass and then...

A snap echoed through the clearing and I sighed letting out all my held breath and relaxed my body from it's stealthy position. The boy whipped around dropping his sword in surprise and as I saw his shocked face my face also became coloured with surprise. Ivar.

"I didn't know you could fight." I commended him

He scoffed, his face retaking the usual mask or irritation it had around me. Turning back around he leaned down to try to pick his sword back up however his arms were not long enough. Defeated, he sighed. Climbing down off the stump and having to crawl for it would be admitting to being a cripple, being less than his brothers.

I walked over keeping my eyes to myself. I bent over and scooped the sword up deftly in my hand, leaving me standing directly in front of the youngest Ragnarsson. As I righted myself, I saw him looking off into the forest, purposefully avoiding my gaze, hand outstretched expecting me to place the sword in his hand. I kept the sword by my side. After a few seconds he finally looked at me, confused. I raised my eyebrows expectantly. He gritted his teeth.

"Thank you." He muttered.

"For what?" I replied smirking.

The confused look stayed as I walked backwards to the centre of the clearing. I saw a flash of rage in his eyes. I'm sure he was sick and tired of people getting him to chase them, making fun of him for how he was born. I could see he was almost at his limit. Ready to snap or to slink off in fury but I had a plan. I unhooked my axe from my belt sliding my fingers under the head and throwing it upwards before catching it in my hand. I threw it upright towards him and he caught it in one hand. He looked even more confused now. I readied myself, sword in hand.

I lunged forward swinging the sword for his neck. Instinctively he brought the axe up, it's hilt blocking my blow. I slid in even closer to him and the metal clanged together. I looked into his eyes and saw that now he too was smirking. He twisted the axe, pulling my blade with it and I would have let go if I hadn't quickly moved my sword out of his lock and stepped backwards to safety. I swung at him again and he leaned backwards out of the swords reach catching me a little off balance. I stumbled as he smashed the hilt of the axe into my stomach and I staggered backwards coughing.

"Why wont your brothers fight you?" I spluttered, "you're good!"

He smiled. For the first time now, I think I was seeing him genuinely smile. He slid the axe through the air at me and I stepped backwards stopping the blade with my own. We continued our violent dance for a good few more minutes with no clear winner surfacing. Blocking on final blow I drew the sword close to his neck and the dance stopped I started strutting around him proud of having him at my mercy but before I knew it, he twisted his axe up hooking my blade and ripping it out of my hand pulling me with it. He used my new position to wrap his arm around my body pulling me towards him so my back was pressed against him and the axe rested at my throat. He let me go.

I picked the sword back up and we exchanged weapons returning them to their original owners. I slumped to the mossy ground and we both sat in silence panting for a bit.

"I think I can help you," I started, "with the pain from your-" I gestured nonchalantly to his legs.

"Okay." He said.

I was shocked.

"But I ... the ... to change my mind at any time so don't try anything- weird."

He was going to let me help him.