Eleven.

Shuffling in my seat I looked to the strangers at my side. Lagertha and Bjorn had left my sides now to get more involved with the battle plans. They and Ragnar all sat in a huddle together around the fire with one other who I had been told was king Horik. I was close enough to hear the words they spoke but it was so fast and I had yet to hear talk of battle so most words went over my head. The warriors to my sides were large burly men who jostled me each time they went for more food or mead. I declined the offer of alcohol each time it came around.

Looking around, I caught the eye of the sons of Ragnar they all sat around the large chair like thrones at the side of the hall, clumped around their mother. I could tell they were about as comfortable here as I was, yet, oddly, I sensed less animosity towards my presence here than I did back in Hedeby. No one knew me here or knew about my mysterious arrival.

I brought my eyes back down to my food and started picking at it with my fingers. Firmly, a hand rested on my shoulder and I whipped around to see the piercing blue eyes of Ubbe stare down at me. He looked poised to speak yet no words escaped instead he just stood lost in thought. I coughed gently to bring his mind back to the hall with us. Blinking rapidly and shaking his head he started.

"Aslaug ... your ... "

I definitely did not understand enough of that sentence to know what to do now. I sat in panicked bewilderment my nerves leaping into my throat and constricting it into a ball. Desperately, my eyes flicked around the room in search of answers until they passed over Aslug. She smiled and waved her hand beckoning me over. I turned back to Ubbe and he nodded and stepped back, allowing me room to get out of my seat.

We walked one behind the other, awkwardly moving though the mass of people and upon reaching the thrones Ubbe returned to his original spot. I stood in front of the five of them now feeling all their eyes drill into me. My mouth went dry and my stomach fluttered.

"So," Aslug began, "you came here with Lagertha?"

She posed it like a question but she saw us arrive in the boat. She knew the answer.

"Yes."

"You were in her boat?"

"Yes."

"You and her are quite close?"

"Yes."

"Similar to that of her and Bjorn?"

I stopped. What was she asking? I realised now that this was not just friendly questioning. It was some form of interrogation. I looked away from her my eyes going anywhere else. The boys standing by her or the one at her feet looked up at me. They did not share their mothers cunning intentions but instead were just listening to me in curious awe.

Aslug had seen the way Ragnar and Lagertha still looked at each other. She wanted to establish whether or not I was Lagertha's child in the hopes that the knowledge of her conceiving with another would put Ragnar off and perhaps weaken their newly found alliance. Yet being thought of as Lagertha's child would grant me the most safety in my time here. I had no idea what to say. Suddenly it had become painfully obvious to me that even my voice which sounded so different, so English in comparison to the others here would give away more than I wanted.

"We have come to a decision!" Ragnar's voice boomed and all went silent.

I felt my limbs go heavy with relief as he addressed the crowd. No one was to talk. Not even me and Aslug.

"Thank you," began Horik as he stood.

He began to inform the gathering of fighters of their plans and tactics thus far, the supplies needed and the arraignment of the boats. I missed much of what was said and knew I would have to ask Bjorn or Lagertha about it later if I was to raid with them as Lagertha had requested. With the speech coming to a close Lagertha called me over to her and I excused myself from Aslug with a smile which she returned yet I could tell it was not genuine. Turning around, I saw every one of the Ragnarssons staring at me though I could tell they all had different thinking towards me.

I moved quickly towards Lagertha, making my escape from Aslaug's presence as subtle as possible and finally sank down into the circle. Lagertha started to introduce me but was cut off by Bjorn who continued with excited admiration for me. He told them about my skills as a healer and the ideas I had that had cured more than they could dream of.

"- and she has even agreed to fight with us in England."

Everyone in the circle stopped including me. I had never agreed to fight, only to come with them and perhaps use my skills as a healer while I was there. It was clear from one of my last nights in Hedeby that I was not ready to be a warrior, a fighter and it seemed, from his expression, Ragnar agreed with me.

"She will not be coming with us." He stated coldly.

"What?" Lagertha and Bjorn spoke in unison.

"She will not be coming with us!" He bellowed, "look at her, she is as young as Ivar, does she even know how to fight."

"She is the best healer I have ever seen."

"Then she can stay and heal people here."

"She came here with me," Lagertha grew stern, "I get to say where she will and will not go."

"I agree with Ragnar," Horik spoke with soft authority, "the girl is to stay."

Ragnar sat back, a smirk crawling over his face. The king was on his side. Lagertha and Bjorn looked down at me. Fear at the idea of me being left alone was etched all over her face and in Bjorn's I could see he no longer had the desire to raid but instead to stay and protect me.

"Aslaug will take care of her as if she was one of our own." Ragnar boomed loud enough for Aslaug to hear and as we turned to look at her she lowered her head slowly in agreement.

"It is settled then." Horik concluded.

I was to stay.