Part 24

This feels like a trap.

I walked into the ballroom of the royal palace, unable to shake a sense of dark unease that hung over me. I glanced around the room, admiring the golden decorations, and the guests enjoying themselves in small groups, each dressed in the latest and finest fashion. Despite the beautiful and jovial atmosphere, there was a tenseness, an anxiety I couldn't shake. I was on the King's territory, and I still had no idea as to what his plans could be.

Things started going wrong right from the beginning.

"I'm sorry miss, only servants from the royal palace may serve in the banquet tonight." A palace steward blocked Hallers' path as soon as we entered , explaining his actions with an apologetic smile.

I frowned. "Is there no way I can bring him in? I depend on him greatly in all matters."

The steward shook his head. "This regards Their Majesties' safety, and so I'm afraid I cannot compromise on this."

Hallers looked distraught for a brief moment, before gathering his composure and stepping back. I stopped in my tracks, staring back at him, feeling unsure. Hallers was always nearby to support me, and especially tonight, with my worries... I didn't want to be alone.

But I had no reason to be exempt from the rules, and I couldn't defy the King's orders. With a smile in Hallers' direction to reassure him, I turned back towards the ballroom, preparing to head in with my family.

Mother had traveled home, making it back in time for the banquet, and now stood beside father without expression. She and I hadn't spoke since her arrival, I glanced over at her, studying her composed appearance, beautiful in her gown, which was a blue so dark it was almost black. Mother must have sensed my gaze, our eyes met as she smiled coldly at me.

"Ready to enter? Or would you like to delay us further because you don't want to be separated from your servant?" Her voice was mocking, the clear dislike in her eyes obvious to everyone around us.

Father shifted uncomfortably, but didn't speak up in my defense. I felt a brief flash of disappointment in him, before dismissing his presence from my mind. Instead I smiled prettily at my mother, enjoying her discomfort at my reaction.

"Thank you for your concern, Mother. I was being too selfish. You are a shining example of nobility and faithfulness, and I can only hope to learn from you in the future." I curtsied, carefully not letting any sarcasm escape my voice.

Mother's face went pale. "You smart mouthed brat!" She hissed. "How dare you disrespect me..."

"But Mother," I interrupted, my smile widening. "I only said you were noble and faithful, why would this upset you?"

She gaped at me, her face now red with anger, as she realized she had no answer to that. Chuckling, I turned away, preparing to enter the ballroom.

"Ready?" I asked Henry, who stood at my side with an uncomfortable expression.

He tugged on his collar. "Can I go back home to the greenhouse?"

"Nope."

"Then yes, I'm ready." He offered his arm, and we walked down he steps into the main ballroom together. Multiple stares turned in our direction as the steward announced us, and I fought to keep my expression unchanged. Between the public dissolution of my engagement, the rumors of my supposed affairs, and the even darker whispers that the Duchy of Armeny was financially ruined, I had become a target of scrutiny and speculation.

The moves Marile had made with Prosperity had quelled the worst of the rumors, but there was still quite a few who seemed to revel in the misfortunes that my family and I had fallen into. I ignored them, however, keeping our pace slow and measures as if no one was staring at me at all.