Part 28

Setting out first thing in the morning, Nate and I headed into town to look at my new shop. It was situated in the center of town, the clean and impressive building fairly eye-catching compared to its surroundings. I stood outside the front of it for a few moments, impressed.

"This is a good spot."

Nate grinned, stepping closer and spoke quietly into my ear. "Told you. Did you doubt me?"

My heartbeat sped up suddenly and confused, I moved further away, "Of course not. Your information has always been trustworthy." I felt as if my cheeks were warm, and wondered if I had been out in the sun too long.

Nate didn't speak further, simply grinning at me, the expression slightly mischievous. It made me feel off kilter. He was normally fairly quiet and serious, only smiling occasionally when joking with me during classes with Jim or running around with Henry. But since we had arrived in Tilendria, I had felt a shift in him, as if something he had been holding back was set loose.

Looking away from him, I knocked on the closed door of the shop.

"Sorry, we don't open for another week..." A familiar voice called out as a young woman opened the shop door. She trailed off at the sight of me, her mouth hanging open.

I smiled. "Should I come back later?"

"LENORA!" Lady Erica squealed delightedly, throwing her arms around me and hugging me tightly. Confused at her excitement, I patted her on the head.

"Hello again."

At my calm words she stepped back, smiling from ear to ear. "I'm so happy to see you! Come in, Come in!" She waved both of us to the door. "Who is your friend?"

Nate gave an informal bow. "I'm Nate..."

"Prince Nathaniel." I interrupted calmly, ignoring his glare. "What? No use hiding it in your own country! Or are you planning to never visit my store in the future?"

His face turned slightly red. "I guess that's true..."

"Nice to meet you, Your Highness!" Erica spoke candidly, obviously not thrown despite royalty showing up. "A friend of Lenora's is a friend of mine! But Lenora..." She turned to me, with a surprisingly stern expression. "It's not good to tease a young man like that. He's not married yet, so shopping here for gifts would be a little..."

I realized the implications of my words, and smiled awkwardly. "Sorry."

His face turned redder. "Don't worry. One day I promise to buy all my wife's gifts here."

The words were nice, but all of a sudden I felt a flash of annoyance. Why am I angry? If he shopped here, it would be more profit for me... but something about the thought of him buying gifts for his loved one here unsettled me.

Trying to control these unexpected feelings, I looked over to Erica. "Can I come and see the store?"

"Of course, we're just putting the finishing touches here and there, should be ready for a grand opening next week." She paused, her face lighting up with excitement. "BUT FIRST YOU HAVE TO MEET MY DARLING!!!"

Her volume was so loud, that many of the people walking nearby stopped to stare. Rolling my eyes, I grabbed her and entered the shop, Nate following close behind us.

The shop was lovely, despite some of the decorations being stren about, waiting to be hung up on the wlalls, the sample merchandice was being displayed throughout the store, tempting one to buy them. There was plenty of space to sit and discuss designs with the staff, with tables for tea and other treats. I looked at this all with satisfaction, it was even lovelier than my branch stores back home.