Part 31

"Miss, do you really think the Queen is in danger?" Lia, sitting across from me in the carriage, looked pale and stressed.

It was the second day of the trip, which had already been very uncomfortable, as I had only allowed minimal breaks, trying to make it back as quickly as possible. I shifted in my seat, feeling sore, and stared out of the window at the passing terrain.

"Hopefully this is just a wasted trip." I answered softly. "But something is wrong... I just don't know what it is yet."

"What about Prince Nathaniel?" She twisted a handkerchief in her hands. "Do you think he'll be safe?"

I didn't know what to say.

I was worried about Nate, my thoughts shifting constantly to what dangers he might be facing. Multiple times I considered turning the carriage around and heading towards the border, but each time resisted the urge. I knew Nate could take care of himself, he would take precautions. But if the Queen was in danger? She would need me.

Not that this made me feel any better.

"..." I didn't respond this time, my expression glum. Hallers, sitting at the front of the carriage, cleared his throat meaningfully, causing Lia to flush with embarrassment and apologize.

"I'm sorry, Miss, I shouldn't be asking such foolish questions and trying to worry you further..."

"It's okay." I rubbed my forehead. "None of this is your fault."

There was a short silence, which was suddenly broken by the sound of rapid hoofbeats.

"What's going on...?" Lia started to ask, but I had already stood up, leaning out through the window and looking ahead.

Rig had been scouting ahead of us on horseback, but he was now riding back towards us at full speed, his face pale.

"GET THE CARRIAGE OFF THE ROAD!" He snapped at the driver on arriving. He turned, seeing my anxious expression and forcing a smile. "We'll be okay. We need to hide."

"What's coming?" I asked, feeling uncertain.

"Men. A lot of them."

The driver took us off the road, into the nearest forest, until we were far out of sight of anyone traveling. Rig, quickly and quietly instructing us to stay hidden, took off on foot. Ignoring Hallers and Lia's calls to come back, I exited the coach and followed him.

Fortunately I had chosen a simpler dress for travel. It was nowhere near as comfortable as the spying clothing I had worn previously, but this at least wasn't too restrictive. I followed behind Rig silently, hiding behind a thick area of bushes as we watched the road.

"Why didn't you stay in the carriage?!" Rig snapped.

"I'm watching your back."

"Who says I need you...?"

"Shush! They're coming!" We glared at each other for a few moments before turning our attention to the rode. The sounds of horses came closer, interspersed with men talking and laughing. We dug in deeper, looking on silently as they passed by.

Bandits?

About 30 or so men, all dressed in ragged dirty clothing. At first glance they seemed like a large but otherwise typical gang, but the longer I watched, the more things seemed to not make sense.

They were riding in an organized group, the horses all high quality mounts. Their swords and bows seemed well maintained, cleaned and ready for war. They seemed to know and treat each other well. Even as they joked with one another, it was fairly tame, their words fading into silence when the leader turned an eye in their direction.