Part 27

We stared at each other silently for a few moments as the guard's words hung in the air between us. Nate's expression grew increasingly nervous, his head hanging down with shame before he finally spoke up.

"I hope you'll forgive me! I truly wasn't intending to hide it from you. But... when we spent time together, I came to look forward to how you treated me. I wasn't sure what you already knew or didn't know, but I knew I wanted things to stay informal, close." He paused with a quiet sigh. "But now I've waited too long."

"What makes you think I'll treat you any differently?" I finally found my voice to answer.

His head snapped up, his face incredulous at my calm words. "Lenora? Did you already know?"

"... I'm not sure."

In the heat of the moment, I answered completely honestly. Had I known? I wasn't an idiot. No one of normal identity could stay at the palace for prolonged periods, and I had already memorized all the royal genealogies of the surrounding countries. I had known that the current crown prince of Tilendria's name was the same as Nate's, as well as his age... It was obvious.

But I had always refused to think about it.

And as I studied him from across the carriage, as he fidgeted uncomfortably in his seat, I realized why.

I didn't want him to be a prince.

____________________________

"Listen to me, Lenora." My mother's hand gripped my chin tightly, her fingers digging into my skin. "Your only purpose in life is to make the prince love you. You will be lovely. You will be agreeable. Whatever he says is true, his every wish is a command for you."

Her hand tightened. "Do you understand?"

I ignored the pain, my childish eyes looking up at her with pain and fear. "Yes, Mother."

"Then say it."

"Nothing matters except making the prince happy." My voice was broken with a sob, but she ignored my distress, throwing me away from her. Unbalanced, I fell to the ground, trying to hold back tears.

"As long as you understand." Her face inscrutable, she left the room, and alone, I curled up in a ball on the floor, crying into my hands.

____________________________

Seeing Nate's confused face, I couldn't help but laugh. "How about this: I'll continue to treat you like Nate, and you continue to treat me like Lenora. No considerations for rank or station. Would that be better?"

Nate relaxed in his seat, his smile stretching across his face. "That sounds wonderful!"

As the carriage entered the palace gates, however, his smile faded slightly. "I don't know if my family will be there to greet us."

I raised an eyebrow. "So I might be meeting the Royal Family on my arrival?"

"Yes."

"Great." I rolled my eyes at him. "Way to warn a girl."

He grinned, looking guilty. "How about I owe you?"

"Are you sure you want to be in my debt?" I gave a mischievous grin. "I'll collect! You could end up being my servant."

For some reason he blushed at these words, and looked away. "As long as you're happy, Lenora."

Before I could tease him further, however, the carriage came to a stop. We were here.