Dealing with drama

School drama happens. Even when we try to focus on our studies it happens anyways.

As someone that deals with much of it, here are a few tips for staying out of and dealing with drama at school:

1. Be kind

Try to be as kind as you can be.

Even to people you don't like, try to at least be civil to them.

2. Don't gossip

Gossiping is very toxic and playing a role in it isn't ever a good idea.

If gossip comes up in a conversation, try and change the subject or just don't participate in the conversation.

If you don't want people to talk about you behind your back, don't talk about people behind their backs.

3. Don't ask someone to play the messenger for you

If you need to talk someone, tell them yourself.

When someone else relays your words for you, your words can get twisted and taken out of context very easily.

4. Don't play the messenger either

Being the messenger in situations is inserting yourself into whatever drama is going on.

If you're asked to be the messenger, simply say "I'm staying out of it," or "I'd rather not get involved."

4. Try to keep a small circle

A small circle is often better than a large one, because less people usually means less drama.

Having just a few good close friends rather than a whole bunch can also help keep you focused instead of distracted.

5. Don't mess with others' relationships or friendships

If someone you like has a significant other, don't try and come between the two.

Same goes for friendships.

Just play your role, and focus on your friendship with the person and don't try to mess with their other relationships.

6. Try not to judge people

If someone has different beliefs and opinions than you, it doesn't mean you can't get along with them.

Try to understand where people are coming from instead of jumping to conclusions about them.

7. Give it time

In the movie Mean Girls, at the end of the film, Cady says that "all the drama from last year didn't matter anymore" about the previous school year.

That's how things usually go.

School is not the peak of your life and neither is what happens there, so just focus on yourself and try to remember all that drama will soon just be memories.