(Chapter 7)

“How was auditions?” Scott asked at Lunch. We were in an adorable little cafe thing that existed just outside the school gates. Because we were seniors, we were allowed out during lunch – something that was totally banned in my old school. Loads of guys came here at lunch, but Scott had bagged us the best table in the corner of the room.

“Oh my God,” I said, rolling my eyes. “It was awful. I mean, come on. I can’t, like, dance.”

Realizing how very gay I sounded, I tried to cover it up.

“You know,” I said, in a gruff manly voice. That was still kind of British. “Because I have such big feet.” Was that something guys said? It was sure as hell not something girls said.

Scott laughed.

“Er, yeah. I have the same problem.”

I blushed. God, I sound stupid.

“You know, they’re putting up the results of the auditions tonight, and they’re finally telling us what musical we’re doing.”

“Thank god,” I sighed, “I did badly. I would die if I knew I had a major part in the musical. I can’t dance. At all. My audition was just me shimmying along to some ballet music.”

Finished my egg muffin thing and coffee, and went back to school. Only two more lessons until they set up free! (And find out what crappy, nameless part I got in the audition.)

It was Art and History…Which was okayish. Thank God it didn’t involve pirouettes and linear graphs. I was okay at drawing…sort of. And History was fine, apart from they were in the middle of the English history, and I was utterly lost. The only thing I have to say is, homework was OTT. I’ve forgotten how annoying homework was, and how much I hated it.

On my way back to my room, I walked past a massive crowd of (HOT!) guys, and I stopped. What the hell were they surrounding? I tried to push through the crowd, getting grinded on and squashed as I tried. Finally, I reached the front. It was the results for the auditions.

The first thing I saw was the massive 80-point title.

ROMEO AND JULIET, THE HALLOWEEN MUSICAL! Adapted and edited by Scott Jacobs.

So Scott did know what the play would be on. Why didn’t he tell me? It was kinda obvious it would be him doing the editing since he was a musical genius. Oh God, the all-guy version of Romeo and Juliet (with one girl. Me.). It was going to be EPIC!

Then came the list of the names.

Montague: Jack Johnson

Lady Montague: Anthony Williams

Romeo: Daniel Smith (Why? That bloody bastard didn’t even audition!)

Benvolio: …

I couldn't be bothered to look at the rest. I scanned down the page, being jostled by thirty angry guys, all of them crying about a part they didn’t get. The one part I wanted to see was Juliet. What poor, sad bastard is going to have to play alongside Daniel?

My eyes finally fell on the words.

Lady Capulet: Adam Thomas

Paris: Unknown

And there it was printed, black and white.

Juliet: Eric Miller

OH MY EFFING GOD.