(Chapter 20)

♫Erica♫

“Um, I have to…go,” I said, sharing a look with Tyler. “I need to go back to…work.”

“Sure,” Tyler replied, smiling. He leaned in, and kissed my cheek. I flushed, and waved at Daniel, and I walked away.

***

╣Daniel╠

“Look, I know yesterday went badly,” Tyler said, to his crowd. “But that’s not the point. Cheer up, and let’s have a party! It’s my birthday!”

I glared at the back of his head.

Why did Erica kiss him, and not me? I thought Tyler liked Eric?

“I’ve got vodka! We could invite the some girls! It’ll be great!”

The guys perked up at the word “girls”.

“Uh, count me out,” I said, straining to give Tyler a grin. “I don’t feel so good. I have to sleep.”

“C’mon, Daniel.”

“It’s alright. I’m really tired.”

I slumped into my – well, Tyler’s – bed, and tried to sleep. But I wasn’t tired. It took me hours to fall asleep.

This was the first Saturday I hadn’t visited him in the hospital.

***

♫Erica♫

I called Cris, and told him I wanted to go back to school.

“I almost drowned, Cris,” I said. My voice was still hoarse.

“You haven’t though, have you? Anyway, I need to talk to you about something.”

“What?”

“Your career, and where it’s going.”

I groaned. “Look, Cris, we have this talk every couple of weeks. I am a quarter model, quarter actress, and quarter student.”

I missed my SATs, but Cris said it was a good idea for me to eventually do them. Someday. I mean, I can’t model forever. I have to go to Uni eventually.

“But that means you’re only three-quarters of a person.”

Obviously, I won’t pass my Math SAT.

“You know what I mean,” I said, dismissively. “Look, I have a film job now, right? My career’s going fine.”

“Okay, fine!” Cris snapped. “I just wanted to do my job as a proper manager!”

“I know that, Cris,” I said, soothingly. “I’m sorry.”

“Good,” he said, but calmly. “By the way, the Director wants to talk to you on Saturday – I’ll text you the details.”

“About what?”

“I don’t know. You’ll find out.”

“Okay…”

“I’m booking a flight for you. You’ll probably be home tomorrow.”

“Thanks,” I sighed, hanging up.

I ran my fingers through my hair. I was fresh out of the shower, but it didn’t mean I wasn’t feeling like crap. Drowning sucks. But…

Forget about him! He kicked you out of your dorm room. You hate him!

Right.

***

Monday, 8AM

***