(Chapter 23)

I frowned, and tried to concentrate on the words – because my pitch was pretty much crap.

“See you,” Daniel said to Scott. I glanced up, in semi-dismay. Was he leaving?

It was the end of the day. A terrible, horrible day filled with bad singing. Mine.

“Where’s Daniel going?” I asked Tyler, who was more or less our coach.

“Don’t know. Said that his agent called him out for something.”

I frowned.

“Hey, Eric!”

I looked up, and smiled at Scott. “Hello, Scott.”

“Are we still watching the movie tonight?”

“Movie?” I said, momentarily confused. “Oh, right…movie. Sure, Scott, I just –”

My phone buzzed, and I smiled at Tyler and Scott apologetically, before I picked up.

“Cris?” I whispered. “What’s up?”

“Go to Starplex Cinemas, at eight,” Cris said, his voice all mystical. “Someone will be there, a-waiting for you…”

“Wah –?” I said, brilliantly.

“For God’s sake, just go, okay?” Cris snapped. “Oh, and you can take your bloody wig off, and wear a dress.”

He hung up.

What the hell?

***

Faced with my wardrobe, I silently cussed Cris. This was a woman’s curse, right? We had to actually choose what to wear. When you were a guy, it was easy. Formal occasions – black tux and white shirt. Non-formal – jeans and t-shirt.

Why the hell hadn’t he given me more information?! How was I meant to choose what to wear?

I pull off my school shirt, and ran my fingers through the fabrics – silk, cashmere, cotton. It was someone Cris bothered to introduce me to, so I’m guessing…higher-class? My fingers strayed to the silks. I’ve been their once before, and the floors and chairs were black and white. So…

I found a silk black and white mini-dress, and appraised it. Totally retro.

My hands found the zip at the back, and I struggled to get it down. I was hopping towards the mirror, when I fell back. Shit. I think I broke the zip.

The door suddenly swung open, and I hurriedly pulled my dress to my chest.

“Go away, Tyler!” I yelled. He left.

I pulled my bodice off, and stared at the zip. Definitely broken. I mean, it would slide up and all, but it kind of fell down really easily. I bit my lip. I had to get that fixed.

“Come in,” I said to Tyler, when I was fully changed again. Tentatively, he opened the door, and blinked at my appearance.

“I’m going out,” I said, pulling some jeans on, and big coat to hide my dress. “See you.”

“What about the movie with Scott?” he called, as I made towards the door.

“Tell him I’m sick,” I said, waving a hand vaguely. Tyler grabbed my arm, before I could leave.

“Erica,” he said, seriously. “Where are you going? Are you going out with Daniel?”

I glared at him. “Don’t be stupid, Tyler. Of course not.”

***

╣Daniel╠

I checked my watch. When was this idiot going to turn up? What had my agent said? Something about…publicity, or something.