Chapter 5

It was the next morning and Maya was laying in bed fast asleep.
She wakes up and finds herself in a strange room.
That she had to get used to.
She sits up as she sees it is already light.
She sighs and climbs out of bed.
She goes to the closet and sees a few pictures on the door.
Most of them were about Josh when he was in the NICU.
She smiles as she realizes she could have been at a worse place.
She goes to her suitcase and then she gets dressed.

As she is in thought Amy comes in the room.
Maya doesn't realize anyone is there until she looks up and smiles.

"Morning dear. Slept well?" Amy asked.
"Yes thank you Mrs Matthews," Maya said.
"You hungry?" Amy asked.
"No not actually. Is Josh still here?" Maya asked.
"No. He and his father is in town. Josh wanted to say hi to a old school friend. You sure you don't want anything to eat? I have some delicious muffins that just came out of the oven," Amy said.
"Okay. I'll be there in a minute," Maya said and Maya left.

~

"So what made you decided to come here? I mean don't you live in New York?" Andrew said.
"Yeah I do. But I actually wanted... I was actually called out to help with a friend. More like one of my niece's. You remember I told you about Maya," Josh said and Andrew nod his head.
"Well looks like she was assaulted by Riley's dear boyfriend and now she doesn't trust me. Or doesn't want me anywhere near her. I don't know what to do about her."
"Just talk to her. Maybe it isn't that big of a problem. Probably shock," Andrew said.
"I don't think so. I think she doesn't trust me. I promised her father I would try and help her but even if I did she is never going to forgive me for what I did to her," Josh said.
"What do you mean? Aren't you playing the long game or something like that?"
"Yeah after two years of me saying she's too young. You don't just forgive and forget. If there is one girl you never know where you stand with, it's her. Just what I need. All the pressure to help a girl who I don't know where I stand with," Josh said.

~

It was early the afternoon after one.
Maya was sitting on the couch cleaning up the wound on her arm.
She doesn't know how she is going to survive with the Matthews.
Josh is obligated to take his niece's side and she doesn't even want to think how this is going to end.
Josh and his father enter the room and Josh shows his dad that he has it.

"Let me help you," Josh said as he sat down next to Maya, taking the cloth.
"Thanks," Maya said brushing her hair out of her eyes.
"We should watch it. If you see it is getting infection we should take you to the doctor. How are you feeling?" Josh asked as he said rapped the bandage around her arm.
"I'm okay. I'm sorry about yesterday. I was in a bad mood and then I took it out on you," Maya said and Josh smiled.
"No problem. At least I knew you weren't yourself. There you go."
"Thanks. Who called you?" Maya asked.
"My father then I went to yours to find out what is going on. I'm sorry you had to go through it," Josh said.
"Looks like what people says is true. I'm bad luck," Maya said.
"You okay?" Josh asked.
"Yeah I will be," Maya said giving Josh a kiss on his cheek before going upstairs.

He smiled and knew she was back.
The Maya he fell for and luckily it didn't last long.
But what he was going to do about his niece?
He can't just leave everything as it is.
He won't.