2. "Please hold onto me. Don't let go of us."

I'd really appreciate it if you guys would vote. Thank you!

***

Chapter Two: "Please hold onto me. Don't let go of us."

I could tell you the second the energy round me changed and the exact moment I felt Harper standing on the other side of the door to my bedroom. Suddenly, I wanted to throw the door open and be embraced by him.

So far, I had my instincts lead me and look where that got me. Fucking nowhere!

I know he needed to talk because that's what always happened, didn't it?! He creates messes and apologises thereafter. Well, this time it wasn't any small mess we were talking about, this was pretty big and he had to understand it.

I was tired, so damn tired. I shouldn't have to do this every step of the relationship. It felt as if I was crossing some sort of checkpoints and already waiting for the next one to come. There's only so much I can possibly take.

I sat down on my bed and faced the door, not entirely ready to face the person I loved, not sure how I would be able to discuss with him how he had gotten my best friend pregnant.

I heard the doorknob spin and the door swung open to reveal a flustered Harper. The sight of him made my heart soar and sore at the same time. It's weird how circumstances bind us.

Whatever he was going to say, he better say it fast because I don't think anything he was going to say would make anything better.

Harper must have realised he would not be greeted with hugs and kisses because he sighed and slowly stepped inside my room.

I briefly wondered which one of my parents let him in, now that the both of them had warmed up to him. The thought irked me beyond limits but my thoughts came to a halt when I realised Harper had closed the door softly before moving slowly towards me.

I could feel my body growing stiff with every step he took in my direction. I took a deep breath when I felt him settle on the bed beside me.

Well, at least he had the sense to leave some distance between us.

He groaned out loud which made me look at him closely. He was looking at the door and I was watching him, wondering how he was so close to me and yet so far.

He ran a hand through his hair in frustration and finally looked at me. I wanted to forget everything and get lost in the green pools he called eyes.

"Zara, I never meant to hurt you." Yeah, that's what everyone says. " You're my mate, I can't hurt you." Yet you did!

I waited for him to say something meaningful, something which he really meant.

"Fuck! Where do I even start?!" He ran his hand through his hair once again, messing it up even more. I bunched my hand in my lap to stop them from reaching over and patting them down.

Harper took a deep breath and I watched how frustrated he really was. Frustrated with life and the situation we were in.

"Do you remember I told you that white wolves have problems conceiving with their mates?" What has that got to do with anything? I nodded anyway.

"And do you remember that I once said that I never really had a good example of mates, one I could follow?" I weakly nodded. He had told me this after I had asked him why he had slept around with everyone even when he knew he had a mate waiting for him, the same day I had proposed we just remained friends.

"Well, it's true." Harper chuckled but it didn't sound happy at all. I had this uneasy feeling in my body and I knew whatever he was going to tell me, I wouldn't like it at all.