4. "Well, Zara's the best thing that has happened to you, son."

Chapter Four: "Well, Zara's the best thing that has happened to you, son. Take care of your mate".

I cringed as the sound of my phone hitting the floor echoed in the room. I just hope that it wasn't broken. I don't think I could handle more stress at the moment.

I gingerly looked up to find Eva smiling down at me. I nervously gulped while I was freaking out on the inside.

Why the hell do these kind of things always happen to me?!

"I'm, Hi, Mrs. Cain." I quickly picked up my phone and stood up from my seat to greet her.

She crossed her arms and sighed mockingly. "Oh Zara, How many times have I told you to call me Eva?"

I chuckled nervously and fiddled with the ends of my shirt.
What are you even doing here?

"Well, I'm here for my sonogram." She laughed while roaming her hand over her belly affectionately.

Of course! Eva was pregnant so she was bound to go to a doctor's office. Pregnant women go for regular checkups. Stupid Zara!

It was just my luck that she had a check-up on this very day.

I mentally face palmed myself and gave a nervous laugh. I was sure I sounded like a dying hyena.

She smiled at me and then sat on the seat next to me. This can't be good!

Instead of running away from my ex boyfriend's mother, I sat beside her, waiting for her to say something and end the awkward silence.

"So, How is everything between you and Harper?", Eva asked me and my eyes whipped to meet hers.
I think I liked the awkward silence better.

What was I supposed to say? That her son, who I was in love with, was now my ex boyfriend and had had sex with my best friend, had possibly impregnated her and now I was accompanying them both for their paternity test. Sounds like a really good story, but not one you tell a pregnant woman who already had a history of miscarriages.

I smiled weakly at her, not knowing what to say. "Yeah, things are......good."

She beamed back at me and I immediately felt guilty of lying to her. She had been nothing but good to me, had accepted me from the start and here I was, lying to her face.

"Oh wait till he marks you and completes the mating process." She sighed dreamily and I subtly took her features in.
Pregnancy had did Eva wonders. Her skin was practically glowing and she had this graceful aura around her that all pregnant women seemed to have.

Out of nowhere, an image of Natalie in her second trimester flashed in my mind. How she would look with that ethereal glow and a motherly grace. A bolt of jealousy ran through me. If the paternity test ran positive, which I had a feeling that it would, she would be having a baby with the guy I was in love with. I should be doing that, he was my mate, not her's.

My thoughts were interrupted when I realised Eva was still speaking. She had stopped talking about the mate bond and was instead talking about how Sebastian and her acted in the early years of their mating. Something Harper would definitely not like to listen. As she kept talking about her husband and mate, I realised that Harper was definitely wrong about one thing. He had said that his father had started loving his mother again but his mother never did. By the way she was talking about Sebastian, there was absolutely no doubt tht she loved him. She must have topped showing it, because she didn't want to get hurt anymore, mate or not. She just wanted to protect herself from both her mate and herself and I respected her decision.

Because that was exactly what I was doing, protecting myself!

"Where's Sebastian anyway?"

"He had to park the car and fill out some form downstairs at the reception." I nodded at her response and we started talking about other topics which helped me forget why I was sitting in the waiting room in the first place.