Chapter Forty-Five

LEXION

His gamma and delta bracketed him, and his beta sat behind, the trio shielding others from the fury that boiled inside him

His gamma and delta bracketed him, and his beta sat behind, the trio shielding others from the fury that boiled inside him. Even then, most of the seats around them were empty, people crowding away from him.

'Lex, control yourself.' His father ordered from where he sat with the other Alphas, who'd finally be going to their packs after the fight.

'Easy for you to say old man,' Lex thought to himself, he'd never dare say it to his father. 'Your mate isn't in danger.'

He kept his thunderous gaze on the still empty battle arena, ignoring his father. Maybe he'd pay for that, but at the moment he didn't care. He was going to kill Leo after this. No rule said he couldn't challenge her after the battle.

'What happened to trusting our mate?' Lexion asked, his tone milder than Lex had anticipated.

'I'm trying.' He grated out knowing he was far from succeeding.

As much as he wanted to believe Nia would be the victor, he just couldn't see how. He'd heard too many of their female guests admit they would've challenged Nia in Leo's shoes. And he knew a weak luna was more of a liability than a weak alpha.

It had nothing to do with seeing females alphas as weak, more with the fact that the Luna was the most important pack member. If life was like chess, then the Luna was the king, only with the power of the queen. The fall of a Luna in a war presaged the fall of a pack.

If Nia lost, even with the pack still against her, they would feel the wound. He glared at the pack members across from him and they shrank back. To some degree he blamed them just as much as his sister. If they'd embraced Nia as they should, Leo would never have dared to challenge her.

'Lex!' His mother admonished.

He turned his glare to meet hers. 'Sorry.' He mindsent, but only an idiot would believe that and his mother wasn't one.

'If you can't get a hold of yourself, we'll ban you from the arena.'

'Like hell they would.' He thought to himself but made an effort to reign in his temper. 'Of course mother.'

Hoping that would be the end of the conversation, Lex went back to glaring at the arena. Soon enough the Sidera - female Delta - strode to the centre, her no nonsense manner drawing everyone to silence.

As the leader of the enforcers, she was tough but fair and very decisive. "There hasn't been a challenge battle in two were lifetimes." She stated without preamble, not even bothering to introduce herself.

Though only someone with dead senses would fail to feel the power that emanated from her. "Which makes this a historic fight," she continued. "There will be no weapons, so the alliance Oracles have asked the goddess and been granted the right to restrict the luna's sworddancer abilities."