Chapter Fifty-One

LEXION

She haunted every waking moment he had, haunted the few hours he managed to sleep

She haunted every waking moment he had, haunted the few hours he managed to sleep. Her taste was fading from memory, as was the feel of her hands on him. He fought to remember her features but he feared they too were fading.

He wanted to scream, to lash out at someone, anybody, but he was an alpha and he had to keep control. Taking a deep breath he turned to face the passing scenery. He saw nothing, but the last thing he wanted was to see the concerned looks his gamma and beta kept exchanging.

The car was too silent, as it'd been for the three weeks they'd been on the road. It'd been three and a half weeks since his mate had been taken, twenty-four and a quarter days, 582 and some hours. Time where Jake Estaungffe had her, where the dark god possessed her like a collectable.

Lex still felt their bond, weaker but still there. He hoped it meant she wasn't now mated to Jake. Since no one had ever had two living potential mates, no one knew how it'd be for him if they were mated.

He couldn't stand the thought of that monster touching her as only he should. Holding her as if she were precious to him or maybe even forcing himself on her again. Lex knew he should've found a way to bond with her. Maybe the mating bite would've taken without them having to have sex.

Lexion had retreated from him, unable to bear the reality of their missing mate, he couldn't even reach Tania, had no sense of her presence. Lex hadn't shifted in all that time, something that unbalanced a were, even an alpha.

He felt the car decelerate, "We're here." His delta said from besides him.

"Thank you." Lex replied but knew there was no emotion in his reply, he was going through the social niceties. Nothing much touched him anymore.

When the car came to a stop, he opened his door and got out. It was another small town, like the ones around most were territories. His people didn't live around large cities and put a lot of money into making sure the land close to the crossing point to their alternate dimensions was untouched.

The other cars parked besides them, as they exited his people formed up around him. He felt the eyes of the townspeople fall on them as they crossed the parking lot towards the motel.

Two of the enforcers walked into the place as the rest of them waited outside. Lex looked around at the small town, the row of small businesses in the one main street. People stood in the doorways and by the windows looking at them with wary suspicion. He didn't care.

They'd called ahead and their rooms were ready, his enforcers just needed to get the keys to their rooms. The place wasn't up to standard, in fact Lex was sure this is what had coined the term flea bag.

While he'd rather have camped in the woods, they were too close to a were crossing point. The last thing he wanted was to invade were territory. While crossing into a were point was hard without permission and something no decent were would do, their people took a narrow view to anyone in the forests around crossings.