17. The Truth Hurts

Chapter 17: The Truth Hurts

It feels like I've been walking for ages. I just couldn't find Alec after he ran out of the cafeteria. I'd searched everywhere, including places he'd never usually go. The last place to look was the music room that held a marvellous grand piano in the centre, a place I liked to escape to often. Not that I have in the last little while. I doubt he'd be in there but while I was looking I had to try and I didn't know where else to go.

What did he mean when he said he wasn't faking? Does that mean he liked me? Why did I have butterflies at that thought? Do I like him? These are the questions I need to find out, but I need to find him first.  I quietly opened the door and slid through.

There he was. I felt a wave of relief. He sat against the far wall with a guitar in hand. Does he play? I stood quietly by the door and watched. His hand strummed the strings and I recognised the tune.

"Guess it's true I'm not good at a one night stand" He sung quietly.

He sings too?! How come I don't know this? This definitely makes in way hotter. I mean a great voice would make anyone hotter by default.

"Oh won't you, stay with me, because you're all I need" He continued in his melodic voice. I couldn't move as he continued to play and sing. When he finished he tilted his head back against the wall and sighed heavily.

"So that's how you pull all the girls," I smirked at him when his eyes met mine. I could tell I had taken him by surprise. But he composed himself quickly.

"Well how else?" He asked rhetorically.

There was a moment of silence before I spoke up, "Why are you here," I asked because I didn't know really what to say.

"Why are you here?" He counter asked with a raised brow.

"Looking for you," I shyly smiled at him. The smile he gave me back was genuine, and absolutely breathtaking. "You know, you could join me on my trip to being famous," I added with a chuckle.

He chuckled too, "That reminds me, you haven't asked for anything. I made a deal with you and I am the only one that seems to be getting something out of it. You can ask for anything you need," He stared a me.

"I don't really need anything. I only really made the deal for you. I didn't know at the time, but I felt sorry for you. I knew what it's like to have family pressure you," I told him sincerely, offering him another smile.

"Your dad?" He asked with disbelief.

I smiled as I made my way over to him then sat down next to him. I leaned my head against the wall then turned to face him. "My Mum," I smiled sadly, looking down to the ground.

"I don't think I've ever met your mother?" He asked with a furrowed brow.

"Ah yeah, she passed away," I corrected.

"Oh, I'm sorry." He sighed, looking down, probably embarrassed he brought it up. "What happened?" He quietly whispered, keeping his head down.

"Cancer. She left home after she found out about her diagnosis, she apparently didn't want her family to see her die. But she use to pressure me into being a perfect daughter, I had to get perfect grades. Nothing was ever enough for her." I told him, feeling a strange tightness in my chest. "I guess that's what made me dislike her so much. I mean, Brooke was the perfect daughter, she could do no wrong, but I could never get anything right, and I resent her for that."