Memories

1
The numbers of the clock changed from 2:53 to 2:54. Elvira was staring at her alarm clock since 2:29. Minutes passed like seconds. The phone call she and her older brother Lukas had, lasted for three hours. They both talked about the situation what happened at Elvira's, but it quickly changed into a conversation where the two siblings shared other things like work, books, music and daily life. Elvira was glad she called Lukas, it did her good. But it made her realise how much she was missing her family. Lukas told her about the pregnancy of his wife Carleen, about their parents and the conditions in Perth. It made her wish she was at home, experience those things as well.

Elvira sighed and turned on her back in the bed. She stared at the ceiling and licked her lips. The headache was gone, luckily, but the tightness in the throat was still present. It was sore and irritating.

She got up and turned on a light. Her feet were touching the cold floor what made roll a shiver roll down her spine. She yawned and walked over to a closet. Her cold fingers were wrapped around the handle when she opened the door. The cold air from the night touched her bare legs what gave her goosebumps. She grabbed a hoodie from the ground and took it on. It didn't warm her legs, but her upper body. She grew a few centimetres by standing on her tiptoes. Her eyes felt on the Converse All Star shoebox from her youth. She grabbed the box and closed the door before walking back to bed again. A yawn rolled over her lips again when she sat down in bed and blinked a few times. The clock said 3:03. She placed the blanket over her legs.

Elvira opened the box and got out the first couple of photos. A smile captured her face when she faced an old photo of her family. Elvira, Lukas and Andy all had light blonde hair, almost white. They were young, Andy was probably four, Elvira was seven and Lukas was nine years old. Her parents didn't change at all, they only had more wrinkled in their faces.

Her eyes fell on a photo of herself, a photo she never had seen before. It was a photo what was made in her bathroom while brushing her teeth. She had a look on the date, 6 December 2016. A line appeared between her eyebrows.

The film Daniel had chosen was terribly awful. It was horror, just like Elvira predicted. All she did was having mini heart attacks and squeezing Daniels arm. Daniel, however, enjoyed the film and was laughing about Elvira. He did care about her, but it was just too funny to see her scared. It made her look cute, but it still was entertaining.

Elvira shut down the tv and picked up the glasses and mugs from the coffee table. The drinks and cups clinked when they were placed on the kitchen counter. The sound was hard, hard enough to roll down a shiver down Elvira's spine. Every small sound made her scared, it didn't matter what, but it did. She shut down the lights and quickly walked to her bedroom.

"Boo!"

A shock went through her body, and her heart heated faster. Her eyes showed a scared expression, just like her face.

A laugh rolled over Daniel's lips. He squeezed his eyes together and placed his hand on his chest. He felt Elvira slamming his chest.

"Daniel. Joseph. Ricciardo. This. Is. Not. Funny," Elvira hissed and slapped his chest after pressing every word out of her mouth.

His laughter filled the room, his contagious laugh. "I am sorry." He tried to open his eyes and stop laughing, but by seeing her scared face, he couldn't stop laughing.

Soft snores left Daniels mouth, what made Elvira wonder how he could so quickly fell asleep. A cracking sound came from the living room. Her heart rate became higher, and her eyes opened instantly. What was that? She concentrated on the sound, something she shouldn't do. Footsteps. She heard footsteps. Her heartbeat raised.