Unlikely Friends

Jess is in her dorm room, looking at the case file for Pamela's hearing when she gets a knock on her door.

“Come in.” She calls.

The door opens, and it's Ruby, asking,

“You done looking at that file yet?”

Jess closes the file, and hands it out to her, saying, “Oh, yeah. Go ahead and take it. I've gone over it so many times already.”

Ruby comes into the room and takes the file, but it looks like she has something else on her mind,

“You know something, Jess, I still can't believe you wouldn't tell Crowley the thing that could clear Pamela's name.”

Jess just says, “Well, it's not my place to tell.”

Ruby confirms, “I know that. I just wanted you to know I thought that was very impressive of you.”

Jess definitely wasn't expecting that from Brady's fiance, “Really? Thank you.”

Ruby turns to go again, but maybe she's starting to come around, because she says next, “You ever notice how Crowley never asks Brady to get food or coffee for him? He has to have asked me at least 15 times now.”

Jess rolls her eyes, “Well, you know how men are. They're completely helpless without a woman, even if they won't admit it.”

Ruby sits down on an empty chair and keeps talking, “Right? Brady doesn't even do his own laundry!”

Jess laughs as she remembers, “He still gets it sent out, huh?”

Ruby laughs again, “I know. And you know something else? Brady got wait-listed when he first applied to Harvard.”

That's a complete shock, “What?”

Ruby confirms, “He had to ask his Dad to pull some strings.”

Jess has to ask, because it doesn't sound like Brady at all, “You're kidding, right?”

Ruby shakes her head, “No, I'm not. At all.”

Then they both laugh at the fact that the boy they're both in love with isn't as great as he thinks.

But then, Ruby sees movement under Jess’ arm, “Oh my gosh. That is a gorgeous cat. Hey, cutie.”

Jess looks down at the orange shorthair, and introduces him, “His name's Goose. I'm watching him for a friend. You wanna hold him?”

Ruby doesn't seem sure at first, but Jess assures her, “He's very friendly with people he likes.”

Then Goose is in Ruby's lap, and pretty soon the two of them are getting along just fine.

“Aw, he likes you!” Jess exclaims.

Ruby's too caught up in what Goose is doing, so she says, “He's giving me headbutts and purring.”

Jess laughs, and the rest of the night goes pretty smoothly after that. Eventually Ruby leaves the room, and Jess settles in for the night with Goose sleeping on her stomach.