Irreplaceable

Crowley is fielding questions from the press in the hospital while Sam, Ruby and Pamela talk amongst themselves in Pamela's room while they wait.

Pamela, naturally, is rolling over eyes at some of the stuff she's overhearing.

“Good God. Should've known he'd still be an ass.”

Sam looks over the papers and tells her, “He's one of the top doctors Harvard has. Of course he's an ass.”

Pamela argues, “Okay, but is he an ass that's gonna clear my name?”

Sam says, “He's the only ass that's trying.”

Pamela muses, “He thinks I did it, didn't he?”

Sam says, “That's not what he's focusing on.”

Pamela gets pissed, “If he's going to throw years of working together out the window over one incident, then why shouldn't I be allowed to do the same?”

Ruby jokes, “Ask Jess. Looked like the two of them were having such a nice time last night.”

Sam snaps at Ruby, “No. You don't know the first thing about what the hell you're talking about.”

Both Pamela and Ruby are surprised by this sudden anger, but Pamela speaks up first, because she's still in the dark, “What am I missing here?”

Sam tells her, “Jess left the internship.”

Pamela's shocked, “What?”

Sam continues, “Crowley kissed her, so she left.”

This is just confirmation for Pamela that Crowley is indeed an asshole, but it's Ruby that now feels terrible for going after Jess, who it turns out didn't do anything wrong.

“Oh my God.”

Pamela asks her, “What?”

Ruby admits, “I made a mistake. I feel horrible.”

At that admission, they sit in silence to think. Then, Sam speaks up to tell them his idea, “Maybe there's still something we can do to fix this.”

Pamela's led into the conference room, in a dress and makeup, smiling at the thought that Crowley will now be getting his. She marches right over to where Crowley's sitting next to Sam.

Crowley notices her smile immediately, and asks, “What the bloody hell are you smiling about? This conference could revoke your medical license.”

Pamela orders him, “Get out of that seat.”

Crowley looks right at her and asks, “What?”

Pamela informs him, “I want you off my case. I have a new doctor.”

Crowley slaps the charts on the table. “Who?”

And that's when the back doors open, to reveal Jess, fully decked in a lavender lab coat and baby blue scrubs, marching straight over to where Crowley is sitting.

“Excuse you, you're in my seat.”

Crowley immediately objects, “She's a medical student! She can't treat you!”

Jess clears her throat, and that prompts Garth to come forward to open a law book, “Massachusetts Legislature, Part I, Title XVI, Chapter 112, Section 9A.”

Jess, smug, can't help herself, “See?” She turns to Garth, “Thank you, Garth.”

The chief of medicine sees all of this, and orders them, “All of you, approach the bench.”

Jess starts to move to the bench, but Crowley stops her, “You're not going anywhere.”

Jess fires back, “Oh yes I am.”

Pamela interjects, “I'm sorry, you clearly didn't hear me. I want you. Off. My case.”

The chief of medicine is losing his patience, “Approach the bench. Now. All of you.”

Jess gets there first, and wastes no time introducing herself, “Jessica Moore, sir. Part I, Title XVI, Chapter 112, Section 9A of Massachusetts Legislature states that a medical student who has already completed two years at a legally chartered school may practice medicine.”

The hospitals on-call lawyer pipes up, “Sir, I have no problem with this.”

Crowley objects once again, “I do. I forbid it.”

Jess is quick to remind him, “But you were more than willing last night. Remember, in your classroom when we were discussing my future in medicine?”

The chief of medicine, however, doesn't care about any of this pettiness, “It also states you need a licensed physician who's also an instructor to supervise you. Mr. Crowley?”

Crowley's all too eager to squish this idea, “That I'm not doing.”

But they'd been prepared for this. Sam speaks up, “I’ll supervise her, sir.”

With that settled, there's no reason for this not to play out, so the chief of medicine says, “Well then, Miss Moore, you may proceed.”

Crowley can only think of how this just might be the thing that gets Pamela's name ruined for good, so before he leaves, he looks right at Pamela and says, “Enjoy unemployment.” and storms out.

That settled, now it's up to Jess to turn this whole thing around.