Chapter 10

Lilly's POV

Finally, I get the chance to sit at the window seat. I look out into the forest that I will forever feel drawn to. I want to go on a walk through it right now. Maybe I'll ask Jaxson when I see him next.

Speaking of the devil, he comes up behind me and tickles me! "I told you I would get you later!" He happily exclaims, excited he remembered to tickle me again. I kick while laughing, trying to escape his hold.

He finally stops, and the laughing dies down, and I go to ask him my intended question, "Can I-I go... walk?" I ask, pointing towards the forest.

"Sure but I must come with you, I'm not letting you out of my sight." Being okay with the terms, I skip happily out of the bedroom and out into the hall. I'm still wary of the stairs, so I have Jaxson pick up my small frame and carry me down them. Reaching the bottom of the stairs, I wiggle out of his grasp and skip to the forest. I love the wind blowing in my, now clean, hair. I love the sound of the forest animals.

Jaxson and I continue to walk until I can no longer hear the normal forest sounds. No more creatures scurrying, no more birds chirping. This puts me on edge. I turn to look at Jaxson and see he is smelling the air. I hear him mutter one word that I don't understand.
"Rogues."

"What i-is that?" I ask, getting better at forming sentences.

"All you need to know is that they are very dangerous. Let's get back to the pack house." He then grabs my hand and practically drags me back to the house while his eyes glaze over. My guess is that he is mind linking Marcus, telling him about the rogues.

We are hurrying back to the pack house when I hear a low growl to my right. Scared, I slowly look over and see a wolf! This is the first time I've ever seen a wolf, and I've always expected them to look majestic, but this one looks disgusting. It has red eyes with foam and slobber all over its mouth. The fur is a light brown, but it looks torn and matted.

Jaxson holds onto my hand tighter and turns towards me, never letting his eyes leave the wolf. "When I shift... Run." His eyes shift to mine quickly and convey messages that contain worry and... love? I can't tell, but I'm scared.

He then quickly let's go of my hand and shifts into his wolf. Turning to run, I look back and see his majestic silver wolf that has black patches on it. This is what a wolf should look like. Staring in shock at how beautiful my mate is, I forget to run, watching the two wolves clash together in a fight.

Jaxson's silver wolf lunges for the brown wolf's neck, but the wolf quickly dodges, then aims for Jaxson's legs. Jaxson also dodges and gets his claws into the other wolf's back. His silver wolf towers over the brown wolf, and clamps his jaws on its neck. He shakes his head, blood spurting out, until the brown wolf lays limp.

While all this is happening, I slowly back away. Slightly scared of my mate, but also proud. He was a cold-blooded killer, yet he only loves and cares for me? I don't understand.

After he is finished, he comes stalking towards me. I flinch away, slightly scared by the images I just saw. The blood on his muzzle is a reminder of what he just did.

Jaxson's wolf whines slightly, and paws at his face. He lays down and I slowly approach, knowing that Jaxson promised to never hurt me. I get close enough to reach out and pet him, and that is exactly what I do. His fur is so soft, I could fall asleep laying against him.

I'm completely relaxed, not even noticing the dead body to my right. So is Jaxson, laying with his eyes closed, purring and leaning into my touch.

That is until I hear an even more menacing growl come from right behind me.

I turn around to see three wolves, with one in the middle and two on either side of it. The middle one steps forward, but then its body conforms into different shapes. It shifts back into a human, naked. Avoiding looking at the private area, I look up at the humans face.

"D-dad?"