5

Rey curled up into a fetal position, sobbing. Her shoulders heaved, her chest hurt. She sucked in violent breaths, willing herself to stop. I'm sorry, Ben. . . I'm sorry I couldn't reach you.
"I'm sorry I still can't." Rey whispered to herself. She held her slippery face, squeezed it. I  may never see you again, Ben. But I'll never forget what--
"Rey?" A voice suddenly questioned. Rey sat up, startled. Noticing the familiar face silhouetted through the sheer curtain door. She wiped away the grief, the wet reminder of heartache. "C-come in." Despite the tears, Rey had nothing to hide from anyone.

The face unveiled itself to be Rose Tico. She crouched beside the opening, walking into the tent on her knees. She smiled, then stopped, furrowing her eyebrows as she looked upon Rey's somber face. "Is everything okay?"
Rey forced a faint smile. "I'm fine, thanks. What is it that you need?"
"I'm in the adjacent tent, and I just wanted to know if you would like dinner? There's a lot of leftovers, and I noticed you haven't come out, but if it's a bad time--"
"No," Rey shook her head, feeling the tears subside, "I'd like some dinner."
"Okay," Rose smiled, gratified, "would you like to come eat in my tent? We can talk, catch up. Whatever you like."
Rey grinned, nodding her head. Her spirit felt lifted, even if only slightly. "Sounds fun. I need the company."

                                             ***

Rey lay in bed, warmth flowed from the body next to her. Ben's body. His hair tickling her arm. She opened her eyes, feeling his warm hand slide its way over her abdomen and around her waist, squeezing, pulling her closer. Rey smiled, grabbing his face, drawing him into a kiss.
Ben grinned. Half asleep, but acknowledging. "I missed you."
Rey's fingers were gliding their way into Ben's thick, tousled hair. Fluffy, soft--that raven black color. Electricity tingled inside Rey with every kiss Ben planted amongst her body.
"I missed you too, Ben. Everyday."
Suddenly, Ben discontinued his kissing trails. His demeanor tensed, fear swam in his eyes. He propped himself onto one arm, his other hand gripping onto Rey's shoulder. "I never want to leave you again."

"You won't, Ben." Rey moved aside a stray lock of hair from his concerned face. "Trust me. You're here for good."
"No," he shook his head, eyes widened, as if he had come to a disheartening realization, "I'm not here, and you're not either. . . Don't you see it?"
Rey turned to look behind her. She sucked in a breath, surprise knocking the wind out of her. They were no longer laying together in the bed; they were laying down in Palpatine's lair. That same destination where Ben sacrificed his life for Rey. That same, stone-cold, forbidding ground. It was all emerging back into Rey's brain--like that of a repressed memory.
Ben's body instantly went limp in Rey's hands. She dropped him before she could react.
"Ben!" The air was sucked out of her lungs. "Ben!"

"I told. . . you, Re. . . Rey.  I-I never wanted to leave," foamy blood began to collect in the corners of Ben's mouth, his eyes clouded, his breathing shallowed, "but. . . I am. . . I'm leav--"
"Ben--no, no, no!" Rey fumbled, tears stinging her eyes, blinding her vision. She desperately grasped at Ben's limp body. With all the strength left in his bones, Ben's hand shot up, clutched onto Rey's, trembled uncontrollably as he spoke his last words, "I wish. . . I could stay. . . I'm sorr. . ." 
Rey pressed her face to her late lover. His bloody mouth rubbed off onto her cold cheek. She wiped at it, examining her wet, bloody palm. Anxiety ate away at her, rushing to her lungs. She screamed involuntarily, sobbing so hard, so fervently, that she no longer had the strength to stay awake. She passed out. Her eyes rolled back in her head. Her body slack.

                                             ***

The morning light kissed the palm trees with a gleaming yellow. It painted over the entirety of the planet, cloaking it in beauty. Streaks of sunlight streamed in through the thin tent material, covering Rey's face with brightness, a stark difference from her dark, lucid dreams. Her eyelids cracked open, eyes stinging from the bloodshot dryness of her nights sobbing. With shielded eyes, she pushed herself up into a sitting position, breathing heavily. "It was just a dream. . . Just a dream." Rey mumbled, burying her face in her hands. Her head swam. She felt sick. She felt fury. She felt disappointment. Strongest of all, guilt. I'm sorry, Ben. I'm so sorry for letting you leave me.