27

Dusk began to turn the tropical planet of Ajan Kloss into a beautiful combination of golden green palms. Every evening, the horizon painted itself an ethereal fusion of deep oranges and pastel pinks. It was Rey's favorite part of life there in that luxuriant jungle, to watch the sunset in action, and on cue, Rey began to stir awake as the sun dipped below the mountain peaks.
Her eyes cracked open and glimpsed around at her tent. The flaps were still sealed shut and commotion stirred beyond them. She could see the silhouettes of bodies as they walked past it.  The cloth material of her tent rippled in waves at the refreshing, jungly breeze. Rey yawned, uncoiled herself from the ball of bedsheets she somehow wove herself into, and stretched her limbs.

Her mind felt cleared, no longer fogged by anguish or fatigue. Her body no longer tender, her ligaments no longer debilitated, freed of physical inabilities. She wriggled her fingers, watching as they moved freely without even the slightest amount of ache. Rey tentatively pushed herself up from the cluster of tangled blankets, and stood. She was actually standing! Rey gasped, amazed at how painless it was now. Rey laughed in wonderment, slapping her hands against her thighs. But she winced sharply, having forgotten that she still had bruises on her legs. Well, okay, maybe Rey wasn't entirely pain-free. 
Not yet, that is, Rey sighed. She began to walk--cautious, at first--out of her tent. 

                                                                                         ***

Poe and Finn, along with many other Resistance members, stood at the main base, awaiting dinner. They sipped the warm jungle tea that Lotus Serxa, a botanist-gone-rebel, who fought with the Resistance at the Battle of Exegol, prepared for her fellow troops. Every night she concocted a new combination of herbs and leaves. Tonight was, as Poe had guessed, some kind of minty passionfruit elixir. And it was strangely delectable.  
A few halfway-decent cooks gathered around a primitive wood spit, roasting a woolly, butchered boar. They sprinkled the rotating body of meat with dried spices, speaking some foreign language Poe nor Finn could decipher. 

BB-8 suddenly warbled and trilled with excitement, zipping his head around his spherical body at the approaching friend behind him.
"What is it, buddy?" Poe started, but Finn had already sensed Rey's presence through the Force. He swiveled on his heels and relief flooded him at the sight of Rey, well and able now--actually standing on her own without toppling over. The pallor color of her skin had vanished, mostly, replaced with a warm vibrance. One of those intrinsic smiles was plastered onto her face at the sight of Finn and Poe, and the little droid rolling up to her feet, whirring with exuberance.
Finn moved in on her. His eyes scanned over her once-haggard body. Her appearance was still as tattered, but her strength looked visibly revived. "Are you okay? How are you feeling?"

"Great. Much better, anyways." Rey replied. Her eyes met Poe's as he approached. He smiled and she returned it.
"We missed you while you were out." He said. Finn nodded.
"Are you sure you're alr--"
"Yes, Finn. Really, I feel great." And that was the honest truth. Her sleep, combined with the power of the Force, had resuscitated her back to life. Sure, she was probably unable to train with her saber or fly a ship--unless she really had to--but there were no complaints. And Rey found it utterly absurd to say that she was tired of sleeping, but she actually was--in fact, she wasn't even aware how long she had slept; ten hours at minimum. Surely more.
But the moment Rey did awake, she was flooded with Ben's presence. And she needed to see him--truly embrace him without limitations this time. 

Others around the Base began to approach Rey with looks of relief and question. One of them was Rose Tico. She wrapped both arms snuggly around Rey's back without restraint. She pulled away and held Rey by the shoulders--a little too forcefully. Rose lightened her grip, smiling as wide as ever.
"It's so good to see you again, Rey."
"It's good to see you, too." Rey said. Her smile deepened at the generous face in front of her. 
"Hey--you must be thirsty! Have some tea, it's really good--"
"Oh, no thank you." It was unlike Rey to turn down a kind gesture, but she had something else on her mind that was more important than. . . tea.

"It's not my favorite today." Finn said, before Rey could reply. He scrunched his nose in mild disgust. "Kind of tastes sour." 
Rose frowned, "I think it's great. Here, Rey, I'll get you some--"
"Thank you, Rose. But I really need to do something." Ben was the only desire on Rey's mind, even to her taste buds. Tea and whatever was for dinner would just have to wait. "Do you happen to know where--"
"Ben is?" Whether it was just a lucky guess, or an act of the Force, Finn had unquestionably guessed correct. "Last time I saw him, he was going to the Falcon. That was this morning though."
"And you haven't seen him since?" Rey questioned. 

"No." Finn said, narrowing his eyes. It did seem strange. "Maybe he's--"
"No," Rey was already closing her eyes, reaching deep within the Force. She felt Ben off in the distance; tranquil and at peace. That was a good sign. "I know where he is."
Rey began to walk in quest for Ben, when Finn reached out and grabbed her arm. "Wait, you need food. Dinner's almost ready--"
"I'm not hungry, Finn." Rey said. And at the thought of food, her stomach did arouse a low rumble. She resisted the urge to place a hand over it, as if to shut it up before Finn heard. Ben was still more important than food. "I'll be back soon."