ix. hospitals and lies

-

-

Paul was off to the 'secret location' that he had planned for Cayla when her phone started ringing. Cayla looked down and frowned when she saw Rosalie's contact name.

Cayla was surprised because even though they were friends, Rosalie was the one she was not very close with. The Korean girl pressed the answer button. "Um, hey Rosalie. What's up?"

"You should come to the hospital. Bella's here because— well, I'll explain it when you get here. I think she needs a friend right now." Rosalie said, causing Cayla's eyes to widen.

"Yeah. I'll be right there—" she hung up the phone. "Hey Paulll." She turned to him and dragged out his name teasingly.

"Yes?"

"Could we make a rain check? My friend is in the hospital and I wanna go see if she's okay." Cayla begged, not wanting to hurt the boys feelings.

Paul was disappointed to say the least. He hadn't seen Cayla in a while and he was hoping that they could catch up. But, he didn't want to let her down so he just nodded his head. "Do you want me to give you a ride?"

"That would be great."

-

Paul parked the car and was walking into the hospital, next to Cayla when his nose caught the most terrible scent that he had ever smelt in his life.

Vampires. He knew it was the Cullens.

The Native boy could already feel his anger rise as he thought about them. How if they never came to Forks, he could've had a normal life. Instead of having to go through the painful transition of becoming a wolf, he could just lived peacefully. He wouldn't have to worry about hurting the people around him every time he got angry. He hated that he missed school so much, that he might not even be able to graduate because of them. Paul stopped and stood where he was for a minute.

Cayla turned around when she noticed that her friend wasn't right beside her. "Paul?" When she saw the complex expression on his face. He was staring off into space with a very angry look on his face, nostrils flared too.

    "Paul, are you okay?" She asked softly, reaching up to touch his shoulder. His eyes immediately snapped to her, and they softened at the concerned look on her face. He felt a his anger calm a little, but not enough. He knew that if he went in there the smell would only get stronger, and he would probably snap. And Paul definitely wanted to avoid showing that side of himself to her. He could end up hurting her and that's the very last thing he would want for his imprint.

   He grabbed her hand off of his shoulder and held Cayla's hand in his for a moment. She looked up at him surprised, not knowing that her touch calmed him more than any medicine could. But even though she didn't know why Paul was doing this, she didn't have the desire to pull away either.