Chapter 93: I Love You, Darling

The Twilight Zone was on and it was day one.

I sat curled up on the couch. The blinds were drawn even though it was mid day. Grandpa liked it that way. I once asked him if he ever got any sun and all I got was a look like I asked him how often he washed his socks. Martin's family was the only one I knew who owed a TV set. It was strange: judging by their flat, they definitely weren't the richest in Liverpool, but they still owned a TV set.

Back in 2013, I used to watch the Twilight Zone. In many of the episodes, the main character thinks she or he is crazy, but she decides to ignore it, thinking she's crazy, until that thing comes crashing down on her.

Grandpa turned toward me, the telly light catching the rims of his glasses. "I don't know if Martin and his friend will be coming back soon, Cora."

"Okay. Do you mind if I wait for a few more minutes? I have to meet the boys downtown for coffee later."

"Of course, Cora. Anything you'd like. You know to make yourself at home." He turned back to the telly set. I picked up my glass of water and took a long sip, hoping Martin and Danny would return, but hoping against hope that they would not. At least I could say I tried.

At least I could say that I tried to stop myself.

On the clock on the wall, the minute hand reached five after and I slowly stood. "Thanks grandpa, for the courtesy. I'll be going now... you don't have to tell Martin I stopped by."

As I took my last step to the ground floor and turned to take the corner, a hand caught my arm. "Cora."

I jumped. "Oh, for god's sakes, John! What are you doing here?" I asked, panting, frightened. He emerged like a guilty schoolboy from behind some steps leading up to the doorway of the first floor flat, one hand rubbing his nose like he did when he was uncomfortable. "I mean, well after last time, I just..."

"Did you follow me here?" I demanded.

"Well, um, yeah. But—!" He stretched out his hands like he was trying to defend himself. "But I told ye, didn't I? I was being honest. I didn't follow you all the way to Whitechapel."

I sighed, turning away from him, feeling the sun on my face. It felt like summer today and I was sad Grandpa refused on greeting the sun. Even John's leather jacket was missing. After a moment of resignation, I turned toward my boyfriend. "Come on."

His eyebrows knit. "Where are we going?"

"The cafe, right Len? To meet the others." I tugged at his hand, laughing. "Thanks for picking me up. Just next time, let me know before you give me a fright like that."

I leaned against him as we walked, my arm through his, my head on his shoulder.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

"It's... it's..." I struggled to find words.

"Is it me?" He asked in such a quiet voice I stopped and said, "God no, Lennon, it's Brian."

"Eppy?" John asked, the confusion seeping through his voice. "Why... Eppy?"

"I..." I sighed. "John, it is so, so complicated, but I can't be with the band. This... remember what we saw in the book? All the things I told you to forget? See... those things were the future." I took a shaky breath. "Don't tell the others. Please."

He gave me a look that said, go on.

"Listen, John, I saw the future, obviously, because I am from that place, and your band does a little something, and I'm not in it. I'm not supposed to be there."