Chapter 9

"How can such a small person throw up so much?" Hvitserk pondered from beside Ailbe as the boat rocked back and forth

She sighed, muttering small words of frustration under her breath before quickly leaning back over into the ocean. "I hate the water."

"What happened to 'I don't hate anything. Everything's beautiful in its own way'?" He questioned with a grin, mimicking the words she'd so often used to him.

If Ailbe could've glared then she would've. She would've glared right through his soul. Instead she just cursed under her breath, vacantly gazing at the sea. "Everything except this is beautiful. And you. You're an idiot."

"You're not even married yet and already you've turned into him." He gestured at his little brother, who stood leaning on his crutch as he controlled the every movement of the men around them.

Ailbe chuckled, she didn't need to see to know who he was referring to. Who else would he be referring to? Ivar had always been superior to all else in his bitterness.

The waves continued to roll, knocking the sides of the boat before splashing back into the endless ocean. Oh that beautiful ocean.

The skies were crystal blue, not a cloud in sight, and the sun shone down illuminating the way. The gods were watching everything.

For a while, the boat was filled with Ivar yelling and the work of his men in response to his orders. Though Ailbe wasn't yet fluent in their language, the words that she did understand Ivar saying were not particularly pleasant ones. Soon, however, the ruckus died down and silence filled the boat - except the monotonous row and the crashing of gentle waves.

Ailbe listened intently, her head rested on the bow of the boat as she contemplated many things.

In a matter if months, her entire life had changed. It was early September when Ivar and his men came to her home. Now it was May, and here she was in the middle of the ocean once again ready to move to another land beyond the sea and marry a Viking. It was all so odd, especially thinking that it could've turned out so different. Had Hvitserk not led them to Irish shores, she'd still be at home healing the sicknesses of those who either pitied her or laughed at her.

But here she was an immortal being. She was in love and happy and soon to be married to a god.

She was dragged, however, from her contemplation when a familiar sound filled her ears. The hoot of an owl. Not just any owl either.

She didn't see Ivar's gaze shoot towards her, or listen to the thud of his crutch as he moved closer, but she couldn't help but notice when he sat beside her. "Did you hear it?" He asked in such a gentle tone that she couldn't believe the same man had previously been roaring with all the might of Thor at his men.

Ailbe nodded, listening for it to come again but there was nothing.

"How are you feeling?" He asked, genuine concern on his features. He couldn't truly figure our how to help her, even with his many advanced brain cells.

"I'm fine" she answered with a soft smile. "Thank you for letting us leave."

He shrugged nonchalantly, knowing full well that he would find out who had done this and why she was protecting them. The paranoia was growing stronger with each day that she had remained silent until one though tore itself into his mind and yelled louder than all others. It had to be someone she loved, surely. And with all her beauty and kindness, why wouldn't it be someone who could walk as well. Someone that she cared for more than him.

"Ivar," She whispered gently, making him return to the present setting. Her hand reached out to hold his and reluctantly he allowed it. "I love you."

He watched her suspiciously, contemplating the sincerity of her words. "I love you too." He answered with a fake smile.

But of course Ailbe could tell the difference and a sharp pain stabbed at her heart. Still, how could she tell him? She couldn't let him kill her own sister!