Chapter 20

The days passed gracefully

The days passed gracefully. Each moment that Ivar had free he spent with Ailbe. She'd even heard him talking in the night to the small baby that she carried, whispering sweet words and hoping that no one would ever know. But she knew. She always knew. The ferocious Viking King, the heartless leader of the heathen army, was the the most gentle of souls deep down.

"Do you think it'll be a boy or a girl?" He questioned, looking over at her with a burning curiosity, that sincere smile still pressed firmly onto his lips and never faltering.

"I don't know, Ivar." She chuckled at his enthusiasm.

" You can't tell? " He seemed a little confused by this. "I thought mothers know."

" Ivar, I only found out that I was with child a week ago. " She explained patiently. "I don't know."

"If it was a boy, we'd have an heir." He contemplated, looking out into the distance as he tried to picture the little child. "But if it was a girl, she'd be just like you."

"Is that a bad thing?" Ailbe smiled, listening to his words in intrigue.

With a smile of genuine joy, Ivar leant in to kiss her, looking over her gentle features as his hand ran through her long red hair. "It would be the best thing to ever happen."

"Well, our child will be lucky to have such an eager father." She chuckled, kissing him again gently.

When she'd seen the healer, she'd been informed that the child was about two months along. So it would seem that she'd been carrying it since her very first night as queen. That, of course, would explain much of the things she'd experienced - her cast emotions, her sickness etc.

Now she simply couldn't wait to hold the little baby in her arms as she once did with her nephew. Only this time, this child would be her own. She would be a mother. The thought made her full with glee.

"You know, when I was shot in England I thought that I was lucky." She spoke suddenly making him turn to her. "Because no one had ever really loved me before. And then afterwards I was so broken and scared but you made me feel safe." She gently reached out, holding onto his hand with a smile. "And now we have everything."

"No one has ever truly loved me either." He told her solemnly. "My brothers never thought I was even capable of love. Especially Sigurd. When I met you, even I didn't think that I would ever love. But you appeared like you were sent from the Gods and have me everything I could have ever wanted."

Ailbe smiled again, "I told you you were nice."