Chapter 16

Ailbe held the brightest of smiles as she wandered through the streets of Kattegat

Ailbe held the brightest of smiles as she wandered through the streets of Kattegat. Her vibrant beam seemed to lighten the whole town, and all of Kattegat appeared gladdened by her intoxicating presence.

She was a beauty like no other. A heart of pure gold, seemingly protected by the gods.

Wherever Ailbe went, she seemed to be offered large sums of unexpected gifts. Women would hand her neatly woven items that she carried in her arms, men picked fresh flowers and gave away sweet spices to her.

She was so confused by the offerings, only partially understanding what her admirers were saying. She heard the word "mother" many times, though that only confused her further as she certainly was not a mother.

The same few words were used on every encounter, as people bowed and blessed her, even begging for her blessing on occasion. Of course, she blessed them all and wished them a good day - however confusing it was to her.

"You seem popular." Hvitserk's voice made her pause with a smile.

"I suppose so." She beamed, hugging him as she always did when they met. It was simply her way. "Are you here to give me flowers too?"

"I'm all out." He sighed dramatically, earning a cheery laugh from her. "So what have they been doing?"

"I've got a lot of the same presents - not that I'm complaining - flowers, woven goods, and spices. One man gave me an emerald so that was nice. And I don't understand everything they say, but I think they keep calling me mother." She answered.

"long lost children of yours?" He shrugged a suggestion, only making Ailbe playfully hit his arm.

"Shut up." She laughed heartily. As her smile dimmed, it's only replacement was curiosity. Her Crystal clear turquoise eyes gleaned with animosity. "Hvitserk?"

"Hm?" He responded, looking out into the crowds of people.

Ailbe but down her bottom lip, her thoughts racing wild as she contemplated what she might say. She gulped back her thoughts, heaving a steady breath. "Do owls fly over sea?"

He looked to her, laughing at her innocent statement before composing himself. "Do you mean the owl from England?" He questioned, and she gave a swift nod in response. "Normally? No."

"But can they?" She persisted.

He gave a small shrug of contemplation before agreeing with a small smile. "I suppose so. Why?"

But Ailbe fell silent as she stated vacantly out into the distance. "No reason." She muttered before slowly making her way back inside the hall, getting lost in her thoughts as she considered the odd bird of prey that followed her.