Chapter 3

Ashlyn Harris POV

Ali and I are making our way down the elevator ready to take a scenic walk around outside the hotel before dinner. As we step off I hear a voice that sounds vaguely familiar talking to Coach Vlatko. That angelic raspy voice I only hear when I think back to the rough years in my life. The one I swore I would find again some day. But it has been years and I slowly gave up hope. That was until now. I can't tell if I'm hallucinating or maybe even dreaming, but I swear I see her in front of my eyes. Her long light curl natural highlighted light brown hair thrown back into its usual ponytail. Her back was turned to me but I know that voice and that hair, I just knew it was her. It had to be.

"No way! Cameron Santiago? Is that really you" I questioned across the lobby of the hotel. My eyes and ears can't be deceiving this many years.

The girl turns and I see her green eyes. No way.

"Cameron Santiago in the flesh," She smirked with that devilish smile of hers.

Next thing I know, she's running and jumping into my arms. All my emotions and memories hit me like a truck. I have so many questions, but those could wait because time has stopped. I didn't want to let go.

Flashback

It was bad. One of my closest friends just died. My parents sent me to rehab because according to them I am "spiraling out of control." I shut down and am constantly drinking. Even though I was twenty six  years old, they managed to talk me into it. I didn't want to go.

"Honey, it's a 10 week program. Please just test it out." My mom practically begged me.

Well I went and they have me alone in a double room. Not even a couple of days into the treatment, I got a roommate. She doesn't look any older than 18. She's frightened but tries her best not to let it show. We just exchanged names and continued our own separate treatment plans for the rest of the day. The first night of her arrival, she couldn't sleep. Cameron tosses and turns all night.

"GET THEM OFF! GET THEM OFF ME! PLEASE!" I'm awakened by her screaming. She looks me dead in the eyes and goes, "The spiders there are so many of them. Take them off. It burns! It burns!"

I hop out of my bed and look around, there is nothing. I know why she thinks that though.

"Cameron. Look at me. Hey! Hey! Focus on me!" I place my fingers under her chin and try to guide her eyes to mine. "There are no spiders. I promise. It's just your nerves on fire. They crave more drugs. I promise you are okay." I say as I soothe her by stroking her hair. She slowly calms down.

"I'm sorry I woke you up." She whispers.

"Just try to get some sleep." And like that we both fell into a short slumber.

End of Flashback

"I'm guessing you two already know each other," Vlatko states.

He pulls us out of our own worlds. I feel her slowly pull away. As we pull away we look into each other's eyes. We both had tears flooding our eyes that we wouldn't dare let fall in public.

"You could say that," I chuckle back at Vlatko's question.

"Well, I will let you guys catch up then. Please be on time." He says as he departs.

"What are you doing here?" I question her. "I have been looking for you for years. I slowly gave up hope, but here you are."

"I'll tell you all about my life if you accompany me to my room. Also, are you going to introduce me to your wife?" She says as she points to Ali next to me.

"Of course. Of course. Ahaha. Cameron, this is Ali, my wife. Ali this is Cameron." She blushes.

"Nice to meet you Cameron." Ali said.

"Likewise, Ali."

As we make our way to the elevators, Cam turns to me and asks, "Does she know about me?"

"She does." I reply and see Cam nod her head. "I told her about you, but I never told her your name."

While Cameron and I have our small convo, I see Ali trying to figure out who this girl was. I talked about my past life with Ali so she'd know what she was getting involved with. I see her eyes trying to recall conversations but nothing is clicking.

Before I say anything, I ask Cam, "Is it okay if I tell her?"

"Yeah it's okay, but nobody else." I nod.

I turn to Ali, "Ali, this is the teenage girl I met and befriended at Oak Rehab in Florida years ago."

Krieger knows how much this girl means to me. To see her eyes finally make the connection brought tears to her eyes which made me tear up again.

"No," a low whisper escapes her lips. "Wow the universe loves to make full circles." She hugs Cam which catches her off guard. "Thank you."

The elevator finally makes it to the ground floor and we hop on. As I hit the seventh floor button, the doors close and we make our way up for Cameron to meet her roommate.

Cameron Santiago POV

As I unlock the door to my room, I enter and see Kelley O'Hara making coffee.

"Hi, my name is Cameron!" I extend a hand out for a handshake.

"I'm Kelley, nice to meet you. You already made some friends I see." She says eying Krashlyn.

"Ashlyn and I go way back," I state.

"Oh, is that true? Care to explain?" O'Hara says, giving me those curious eyes. "How old are you Cameron?"

"I'll be 21 March 7. And no me and Ashlyn never dated. She's a motherly figure in my eyes."

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

AN: I hope whoever is reading is enjoying it. It's my first USWNT story so bare with me. Apologize if there are typos and grammar mistakes. Stay safe out there.

-AK