thirty-seven

IN THEORY, it was a simple process. Luca and she had discussed it before Amelia had arrived at Area 51; a specialized communication system which contacted specific technological cards from one elevated area.

A single satellite, in Earth's own atmosphere, that could execute quick comments in broad areas. It had been small talk, mostly — finding common ground between architecture and technology. Tina hadn't known then that maybe their idea could save their lives; but she did know that the volt-guns operated on similarly branded electrical chips.

After all, you couldn't not have a safety fuse in weapons running on solar power. Thank God ERAA wasn't that stupid.

"Duck!" Shaunia hissed suddenly, scattering Tina's contemplative thoughts. She'd been shuffling through her discussions with Luca, trying to remember what he'd shared about the guns they'd been handling rather than being crushed by the fact she could no longer be with him. Time traveling seemed to have made the edges of these memories fuzzier, however.

Tina complied, her heart stuttering as she cursed herself internally. You shouldn't have gotten distracted.

They were both walking along the outer-lying ferns. Just five steps to the left, they would've sunk into the marsh. Ahead of them, a line of unmistakable marines, carrying volt-guns, made their way up the hill that led back to the TimePod landing site. They looked like ants cresting an anthill, and the image was so ridiculous Tina nearly snorted.

Shaunia pursed her lips, her eyes narrowing. Tina focused on keeping her breathing quiet; Shaunia had already berated her for panting too loudly.

"Amelia told us that they were close to the waterfall," Shaunia murmured. Her tone pricked Tina's ears as she hissed back.

"You didn't believe her?" Internally, she rolled her eyes. Shaunia was a brat and a cynic, but she thought she'd have been smarter than that.

Shaunia turned, her eyes shooting daggers. "Keep it down," she said. Tina didn't miss how she'd dodged the question, but reluctantly quietened. How close was Luca, then? Was he still alive? Tina swallowed.

So many questions. It was driving her crazy.

But hopefully all of them will be answered — soon enough.

If Luca could help them wage their silent war (if he wasn't on Ichabod's side, though she refused to acknowledge the implications of that), they stood a chance against Ichabod. Her eyes narrowed a little as she watched the marines walk up and down the hill, carrying metal containers. Sled-like transporters were used to carry the heavier bits and pieces, and Tina could even reckon the EEG was there, holding onto beams in its clamp-like hands.

A horrible plan was forming in her head. One, she was almost one million percent sure
Shaunia was not going to like.

"I'll give myself up," Tina heard herself saying, before she'd barely processed the words. Shaunia twisted sharply toward her, and she kept her gaze trained on the marines so that the raven-haired girl wouldn't notice her own uncertainty. "I'll find Luca and find out what's going on. If I don't come back, come find me."

A necessary gambit, she suddenly recalled her brother saying. It was after she'd lost to him in yet another game of checkers, when she was much younger and the world was less of a screwed up place. Tina had asked him why he'd given up his own pieces in maneuvers he could've easily outwitted her in.

"Sometimes you gotta make sacrifices, little sis." He had ruffled her hair. "Still, I won."

Shaunia looked like a pufferfish, her face screwed up tight and her mouth dangling open. "But — Tina — Amelia! What'll she say?"