forty-seven

the Refugeone click from the Thermal Lake09:27 AM

the Refuge
one click from the Thermal Lake
09:27 AM

━━━━

"GET THOSE crates loaded!" Ichabod stood with his eyes narrowed, glaring at the marines who scurried past like rats. "Carefully! Unless you want to pay the damages of a couple million pounds!"

The man rolled his shoulders back, feeling his spine crackle. To the west he could just barely see the ridge of the waterfall over the tops of the ferns; the Learners scampering atop it as small as ants.

The groan of metal made him grimace and turn back to the time machine. "Hurry up! We have a date with those rebels which I do not intend to miss!"

The nervous energy he felt simmering in his veins was thrumming through the air, too, he noted. Everyone was anxious, which he would've minded less if the marines hadn't been messing up his shipments.

Victoria, the veterinarian who'd been in charge of taking blood samples of the dinosaurs, joined him at his side. "All the specimens have been loaded," she said in a low, timid voice. Ichabod felt a rush of satisfaction flood his system, though he pressed his disgruntled look further into his face.

"Good. Let's get the wheels of this operation turning, then." He shot a glance back up to the ridge of the waterfall.

The weight of his pistol was a good one behind his back.

Ready or not, Lale. Ichabod let a small, tight grin relax his features. Here I come.

the Refugeone click from the Thermal Lake09:30 AM

the Refuge
one click from the Thermal Lake
09:30 AM

━━━━

"Luca, there's no time!" Royson forced the satellite into his hands, knocking his screwdriver lose. A bead of sweat raced down his cheek, mimicking the speed of his heartbeat.