forty-eight

the Thermal Lakeone click from the Refuge09:40 AM

the Thermal Lake
one click from the Refuge
09:40 AM

━━━━

THEY APPEARED like ghosts among the ferns, a slow wave of dark figures that worked their way through the foliage. Their volt-guns glinted in the morning light.

Despite the fact that she was facing death, Luca could very well be dead, and her hair was an absolute mess because of the humidity, Tina felt less afraid than she'd expected. Her hands were steady and her heart was beating rhythmically, like she was about to walk her dog than fight for her life.

And fight for those in 2039.

Tina had family there. Her mom and dad and niece; she vaguely wondered if they missed her, or thought she was dead in some field somewhere. It hadn't been easy leaving them, but they'd be alongside soon. (If we win.)

"Remember your stations!" Lale called, as Ichabod's troops got closer. They were close enough Tina could pick out some faces; none were Luca's. "Stay together!"

Tina released a shaky exhale. Okay, maybe she was more nervous than she was pretending to be. Her knuckles tightened around her spear as she lifted it from the ground, hefting it to her shoulder and ready for throwing. The fist-sized rock in her other hand was heavy and was growing clammy with her sweat.

Adrenaline was burning through her veins. Her eyes narrowed on the soldiers, and a strange mixture of excitement and dread churned her gut until she was fit to throw up. The wound across her stomach was burning, but Tina ignored it. You have a job to do, Tina told herself firmly. Peoples' lives to save.

"Last chance, Lale!" Ichabod's voice rose like a sour-smelling fog during a summery day. If only that was true for the actual weather. The air was heavy with moisture and tasted thick on her lips. "Surrender, and you won't put your men and women at risk!"

Tina felt a stab of annoyance rush through her. Ichabod doesn't get it. She screwed her eyes up on the owner of the voice. He doesn't have a conscience.

Tina shot a glance at Lale, her insides fuzzy with worry, but he answered firmly. "We will not surrender!"

Ichabod jerked his head, like it was some sort of cue. All at once, the men and women in the front of the pack aimed their volt-guns up at them, and fired.