Chapter 40

The messanger couldn't decide about his next action. Should he agree with the rants of the cruel queen or should he take care of his bleeding mouth.
'What was my fault? '
The blood was spilling out mercilessly from his mouth trickling down to his jaw to his shirt and breech drenching them in the process and then finally colouring the floor.

Not even for a second, a look of sympathy adorned the queen's eyes. In the end messanger's body succumbed to the blood loss and he fainted. After throwing a last glance at the fainted body of the messanger, she strolled out of the dark room ordering one of the maids to clear up the mess.

She entered in the hall where the members of ministry were waiting for her. Sensing the presence of the queen, all of them stood up in order to pay respect to her. All the eyes automatically drifted to their queen's hand drenched with the blood, as it was the first thing which caught their attention.

They knew something brutal happened in the room but none of them dared to question their queen's decision. All the heads present in the room bent down in shame while she looked at each one of them with her scrutinizing gaze.

The raised heartbeat of the ministers was the evidence of their fear. They never knew who would face the wrath of the queen even though none of them were at fault.
'What did we do? It's fault of the team who is in Florence. '
similar thoughts were running in everyone's mind but none of them had the guts enough to voice it out.

They expected her to scold them, shout on them but nothing happened according to their pre conceived notion, instead there was haunting silence in the room. Unexpectedly, the queen uttered the next sentence making all of the ministers numb,
"I will go to Florence."

Unanimously a sound which echoed in the room was, "Pardon, your highness? "
'Has this lady lost her senses?' It was the rhetorical question which all of them were secretly asking each other through their eyes.

Finally, the minister of foreign trade relations mustered up his courage to put forward his point, "Your highness! It was very difficult to fake your death and Augustus believes that you're dead. You going back can spoil our pla... plans. "

He stuttered at the end when the queen came exceptionally close to him, glaring directly in his eyes. She held his jaws with the same bloody hand of hers and clutched it tightly.

She spoke, "You think I care for your opinions? I want to pay my dear son a visit and I'll do it." The word dear rolled out of her mouth in a way which mocked the essence of the endearment.

"I've heard a lot about Augustus's wife. It's time for me to witness it by my own."

Minister was wise enough to not argue further and shut his mouth. An immediate meeting was held for planning out how to escort the Queen safely in the Florence's kingdom without anyone recognizing her.

🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹

Back in Florence, Ritha was gazing out in the garden from the second floor of the palace. She was missing her land and family greatly as it was the first time after her arrival in the palace that she wasn't pre occupied with any other thoughts regarding this kingdom or the enemies.

Leaning forward on the railing, she went down the memory lane. The soft wind was blowing her hair in soft periodic motion as if playing the same note of the music again and again.

Her sadness was overtaken by the overwhelming emotion of love when she thought about her husband and the last night. She was proud of her man. He was the perfect incarnation of a real man who had the guts enough to stand up against every odds without blaming anyone. A true warrior he was, who was ready to protect his land, people and family.

Stephano, who was observing Ritha from behind one of the pillars, saw this as a perfect opportunity to have a face to face conversation with the lady but with a fake identity. He smiled slyly at his thoughts and went towards Rithambara with his calculating steps.

Ritha was so engrossed in her thoughts that she didn't feel a presence next to her until someone cleared his throat. She turned around to see a man around her husband's age who courteously bowed down his head.

She acknowledged his courtesy and greeted him politely. She hadn't come across this man ever in the palace so she asked for his introduction. Stephano smiled internally and introduced himself to Ritha as Mario, third commander in chief of the Florence army.

     Since Ritha's had no reasons to doubt him, she believed in Stephano's facade. She was about to go inside when Stephano asked her to play a game of chess. It was a bit odd situation for Ritha but in order to not be mean, she agreed to the Stephano's  offer. Secondly, it had been ages since she played the game and truth to be told, she loved the game.

        They went in one of the rooms where chess board was already placed  on a small square table. Two chairs were adjacently placed and the sun rays were peeking inside through the window.

    Stephano guided Rithambara inside and pulled out the chair for her in order to sit. She thanked him and waited for him to take his seat. After taking his seat, he chose the black colour which was fine with Ritha.

    The game began and much to Stephano's dismay, Rithambara always had a counter attack for his move which frustrated him from inside. On the other hand, Ritha was calmly enjoying the game. After planning for few minutes, he came up with his signature move.

"well your highness, I would like to use adjective shrewd to give you a glimpse of my persona." Saying so Stefano put forward his horse in shape of L.

His facial muscles twitched into a victorious smirk seeing the good move of his in chess. and he continued,"check! Now either you save or queen or king. You know horses play a vital role, be it chess or real war." The words were uttered in a very slow pace from his mouth as if warning Ritha.

   Ritha glanced up from the chess board and looked in Stephano's eyes. Without uttering a single word, she reciprocated his smirk and removed his black horse with her white bishop.

To say Stephano was bruised, would be an understatement. It felt like someone had pierced darts into his heart because he wasn't in habit of losing and to escalate his anger, Ritha spoke, "I would like to add an adjective imprudent to describe your persona. "