Chapter 47

The pool of people was big enough for lady to drown in. It felt like searching a distinct rain water which suddenly mixed in the flowing river leaving no trace of it's unique persona behind.

         His eyes were helplessly roaming around in every direction for a mere glance of her but it wasn't just possible. He was animatedly catering through the crowd sometimes getting a push or two on his shoulder. People were conscious enough to give him space but the crowd was too much to handle.

The pitter patter of people was proliferating by each passing second and deafening sound of trumpets and drums around were creating a catastrophic hurricane in his mind which was squeezed with heavy thoughts and emotions. He took a three sixty degree turn but alas! All faces were covered with mask leaving their only penetrating eyes visible. She was nowhere to be found raking Augustus's vexation.

People around him were showering in joy but he alone was like a dry spot where water of joy was absorbed by frustration.Clenching his jaws, he blamed his imagination which kept on painting her images on his mind's canvas.

' she's dead. She's not here. It's all my in my head. There are fucking thousands of people with same eyes and lips. '

Leaving his thoughts behind, he exhaled and inhaled loudly trying to release heaviness from his heart through each breath but it went in vain. His metallic helmet and red warrior dress made him stand out amongst commoners. Trying to focus on the celebration, he took a glance around and mingled in.

The queen who had changed her mask and cloak smirked seeing Augustus's failed attempt to find her. She reached Florence last night and with help of her people, she managed to participate in the mask procession with ease. It was a risky step because she was jeopradizing the whole plan but nobody dared to question her because afterall, she was the queen and she want what she wants!

                Her soldiers were disguised as common people and blended in background seamlessly. They helped her in changing mask and cloak without anyone noticing it. The noise around and her pumped up adrenaline were rhythmed by high emotions.

        She smirked a little when she spotted Stephano through his eagles tattoo on back of his neck. Indeed title 'Eagle' was apt for her! Meanwhile, her soldiers were conscious enough to hide her from Augustus's gaze who was searching for her like a maniac
She was waiting for him to come near her.

    Stephano, who was present in the mask procession had already spotted his queen. Her penetrating gaze chilled his spine with fear and anxiety. He knew that this psycho lady would show no mercy. He initially planned to run away but decided against it because it was of no use.

      Luca, Balbina and Aelia were still inside the palace and were looking for a way to come out without gaining anyone's attention. He being lucky enough or probably unlucky enough managed to get out before anyone could doubt.

        Slowly and gradually, he took slow steps towards her queen who was drilling holes in his body. He was about to bow down infront of her as a sign of 'respect' but she stopped him by showing her palm.

         A look of anger could be partially seen beneath her mask because of the delay. She wanted to summon her team sooner because many important news were there to be shared but those idiots weren't there.

🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹

  Aurelius didn't participate in the mask procession because Augustus asked him to interrogate their spies who claimed to have some important news. Aurelius was more than happy seeing his friend's trust on him.

       After waiting for few more minutes, he heard two of their trusted spies knocking on the door and he allowed him to come inside. Without beating around the bush, they told him the horrifying news.

      Aurelius's heart was beating frantically after hearing this piece of information from spies. If what they are saying is true, then war would start within two weeks!

         Even thinking about this made his blood freeze in terror. Though he was a fearless warrior, preparation of their kingdom wasn't up to the mark and his mind was scattered into pieces which he wasn't able to collect.

' Britain has removed their army from Mare Nostrum ! ( present day Mediterranean sea) '

       It weren't just few words. These were the confirmation which was about to change Roman history. Blood was about to shed, tears of anguish were about to drench great civilisation, some forever goodbyes were about to be recieted, some hollow promises of meeting again were about to be made and some unsung knights were about to die.

       Deep down, somewhere in his mind he knew that he could be the one to lose his life but he would prefer being martyred in this great war over any other thing. He smiled a bit thinking about his wife Olivia, who was pregnant with their first born but there was an uncertain feeling in his heart that he wouldn't be able to meet his unborn baby. 

       Closing his eyes, he shook his head to get rid of this ridiculous thought and instead of feeling weak, he propelled himself to make this news an inspiration for him.

He vowed to stand with his friend and ecstaticity filled his heart when he imagined Augustus getting crowned as Roman king. It was now or never!    
This needed Augustus's immediate attention as they can't afford to lose even a single second more.

Author's Note

Uh-huh! Seems like things aren't completely in Eagles' favour. The queen was quite confirmed that Aurelius was helping them but what do you guys think after getting a glimpse of his mind?

   This wonderful cover is made by my wonderful friend theKiara . A person who has become my wattpad bestie and a good reviewer of my poems.😅

      Lastly, this story has crossed fifty thousand plus reads and I would like to thank everyone. The day I wrote my first draft, I wasn't even sure whether I would publish it or not because I was too scared and nervous but here we are today! With your love and support you overwhelmed me.