Six

The only one who appeared to have enjoyed the remains of the luncheon was Lord Penwallow, who gladly spoke, finished the courses and drank the extravagant wine that the servants poured in his glass. To keep up his good manners, Lord Beckett joined the conversations with the older Lord. Yet, his countenance was distant and half hearted. Penwallow appeared to have lost interest in Jade, something she was rather grateful for. It meant she could quietly sip on the bitter, but fine wine and only peck at the potatoes on her platter.

When Lord Penwallow had taken the last chew of the dessert, he leaned back and clapped his large belly. "A pleasure as always, Cutler" he bellowed, while he took his cigar to his mouth.

"I'm glad you enjoyed it, sir" the younger Lord nodded, as he cast a nearly unnoticeable glare at the smoke which floated to the ceiling. He wrinkled his nose, while he petted the white cloth against his lips.

The older Lord inhaled and placed his hands on his thighs. "My ships should leave soon, so if I don't wish a furious wife after me I ought to leave, she is not overwhelmed that I travel this far," he explained, then he heavily rose to his feet. "I thank you again, for a lovely luncheon and for meeting you, Jade" the large man turned to her and smiled warmly. "I do hope we'll meet again soon" when Penwallow bent down and placed a kiss on her hand, Jade thought the buttons of his coat would loosen and fly across the library. In some mysterious way, which left Jade astonished, they did not, and the Lord straightened and with a bow he approached the door.

"I wish you a safe journey, sir" Beckett told his old friend, as he remained in his seat.

"Thank you, lad, thank you" announced Penwallow before he left the library. The silence once more filled the large room like cold water. The musky tobacco smell from Penwallow's cigar stung in Jade's nose. She caught herself impatiently toying with one of the small spoons, it was suppose to be used for the desert, which she had not even attempted to touch. Instantly, she dropped her hands to her lap. When Beckett neither moved or made any indication he was about to speak, Jade dragged the chair backwards. The noise the chair made against the wooden floor seemed deafening in the otherwise quiet room, and she closed her eyes. Slowly, she rose to her feet. This notion of hers had not gone by unnoticed by Beckett.

"Stay" he ordered her from his side of the long table, with his hand raised. He cast an eye at her still untouched plate. "Was the food not in your taste?"

"I'm not very hungry" she let him know as she remained motionless before the table. The Lord only nodded stiffly. "May I leave?" she looked up at him with a stern expression on her face. The only answer she got from him was silence and an empty gaze. Eventually she grew tired of his lack of reaction. "So in front of Lord Penwallow I'm good enough to be your wife?"

"Just what did you expect me to say?" he sighed at her clearly frustrated remark, he wiped his face with his palm while he inhaled sharply.

"The truth, perhaps?" she burst out, and saw how Beckett flinched slightly by her sudden raise of voice.

"The truth?" he repeated with flared nostrils. "Oh, so you would have wished me to describe our situation to Lord Penwallow, is that it?" his voice was calm and collected, yet dry and scornful and Jade clenched her fist harder. "You consider it wise that I would tell him that you are a pirate who ought to be hanged for your crimes, yet here you are, carrying my child" the sudden fierceness in his voice caused her to seal her lips.

"You were the one who kept me as your hostage" she pointed at him furiously. "You were the one who traded me with Jack, as if I was your possession" Now it was the Lord's turn to fall quiet, while it seemed he was determined not to return her glare. When Jade realized he had no intention to answer her little outburst, she took a step closer to him. "I think we both know the reason you did that was not for useful information"