Chapter 23

Trinity had fallen into a fitful sleep when her phone rang. She looked at the clock on the bedside table and noted that it was four in the morning.

"Hello," she said, without checking to see who it was as she tried to blink the sleep from her eyes.

"Trinity?" She heard Levi's voice and she was immediately awake.

"Levi!" She sat up, pushing her hair out of her face. "Where are you, are you alright?"

"Yes, only a few minor bruises and a broken wrist. I'm at the hospital in Sweetwater. Did you see him yet? Christopher? Are you alright?" he asked, his voice sounding hoarse.

"You don't sound alright, Levi," Trinity could feel tears of relief and worry building.

"I'm fine, just tired and hungry. Did you see Christopher?" he asked again.

"I saw him. It was fine," Trinity assured him.

"How was it fine?" She heard a car door slam in the background.

"I used the same move that I used on you, but Rita texted me about your accident at the same time, so he was the least of my worries. Josiah, I need to call Josiah. We need to come and get you!"

"Where are you, aren't you in Savannah?" She heard him grunt as if he was in pain.

"No, I'm here at the ranch in your bed, wearing your shirt." Trinity plucked at the shirt. "I came home as soon as I knew what had happened."

"Home, I like the way you say that, and I like the fact that you in my bed, waiting for me." She could hear the smile in his voice. "I'm on my way home now, I've chartered a flight to leave here at half-past five, can you be at the airport to pick me up at half-past six?" he asked.

"Yes!" she agreed, looking at the clock again. "I'll be there. I love you, Levi."

"I love you too, Trinity. We'll talk when I get there. I'm not very happy with either you or Josiah at the moment."

Trinity smiled at his attempt at a stern voice. "You don't do stern very well. I bet Josiah had you wrapped around his finger when he was a kid."

"Our kids will too," Levi softly said.

"Kids?" Trinity squeaked. That meant a forever kind of future.

"If that's alright with you." Levi sounded hesitant.

"I never thought I would have kids." Trinity shook her head. She had never tried with Christopher, and she had given up hope that she would ever trust anyone enough to bring a child into the world with them.

"I want a little girl who looks just like you. I want to spoil both of you." His voice was rough.

"Or a little boy, that looks just like you, a little cowboy in the making." Trinity laughed.

"Maybe both?" he asked.

"Maybe," she whispered in agreement. "Half-past six?"

"I'll see you then," he agreed. "I'll call Josiah and Rita."

"Alright," she agreed, and it felt like she had lost him again when he ended the call.

Trinity leaned back against the pillows. They did have a lot to discuss. She was worried that Levi would eventually resent her for her past. He had already been down that road once, loving someone with a history of abuse. She had to be honest with him. She had faced down Christopher, but she knew she was not completely healed, she never would be.

But he had said he loved her and that meant something. It meant that despite what Josiah said, she needed to hear what Levi said, what he felt. She knew the reason she ran was that she was frightened, but the truth of Josiah's statements had overwhelmed her.

It hadn't been a case of Josiah's mother simply not caring for Levi. She had become who Trinity had been on her way to becoming.

Trinity sat up at the thought. She had built her walls so high that no one could get through, including her family. She had been very close to becoming Constance. The idea of loving another man, of letting that man close enough to touch her or control her in any way had been abhorrent.

Then Levi had come into her life, becoming a trusted boss and friend and then lover. He hadn't rushed her but had used patience and love to show her how she should be treated. Trinity had felt his love from the beginning. Only she didn't recognize it as such.

Trinity closed her eyes. She would never be able to thank God enough for bringing such a man into her life. Jumping out of bed, Trinity started to get ready to go to the airport. She half expected Josiah to join her, but he never did.

When Trinity saw the plane touch down at the airport, just as the sun was coming up, she felt as if her heart was going to burst. When she saw Levi gently lowering himself onto the tarmac, she couldn't hold back the tears. She couldn't move. She wanted to rush and meet him, but there was still a part of her that couldn't believe that such a man would want her.

He thanked the pilot and then started to walk towards Trinity, his eyes taking in every inch of her. Trinity was doing the same and noted that he was moving slower than he usually did, he had bruising on his face, and his arm was in a sling.

Trinity couldn't help the tears that started to fall.

Levi gathered her close and held her while she sobbed. It felt so good to be held in his arms.

"Take me home. I'm tired," Levi whispered. Trinity looked up at his face and noticed how drawn it looked. It must have taken a lot for him to make it home.

Trinity nodded and did that very thing. She did what she could to help him shower and get into bed, and she climbed in next to him. She was hesitant to hold him, but when he gathered her close, resting his injured wrist over her, she felt herself relax for the first time since the last time he had held her in his arms.