One

"Books are a uniquely portable magic."
- Stephan King

November 1994

"If the terrified wizards and witches who waited breathlessly for news at the edge of the wood expected reassurance from the Ministry of Magic, they were sadly disappointed. A Ministry official emerged sometime after the appearance of the Death Eaters, alleging that nobody had been hurt but refusing to give any more information. Wherever this statement will be enough to quash the rumors that several bodies were removed from the woods an hour later remains to be seen."

Athene Atkinson shook her head at the poorly written article in the Daily Prophet. She hadn't been at the Quidditch World Cup this year - thank Merlin - but she knew that the Ministry couldn't be held responsible for the actions of You-Know-Who's followers.

Setting the outdated paper aside, Athene turned to look at her small shop. The young woman had purchased the abandoned building shortly after she graduated from Hogwarts in 1991 and had spent much of that summer renovating the broken interior until it was in tip-top condition once again. The little bookstore had opened that fall, and it had done pretty well.

The building itself was sat in one of the many sidestreets of Diagon Ally and was just far enough from the crowds to be considered quiet. Athene liked to think of it as a hidden gem of the Wizarding World and, despite her aunt's protests, she wanted to keep it that way. Most of Epeolatry's patrons were of the older sorts who just wanted to get out of the house. The towering bookshelves, dusty books, and quiet conversations with Athene were the highlight of their days. Their excitement was why Athene had started the little shop.

"Athene, dear," Margarete, a 78-year-old witch with greying hair and an old fashioned robe, sauntered up to the counter with several books in her arms, "I think I've found you a suitable match."

"And how many times have I told you that I'm not interested in dating?" Athene stood from the stool and began to write down the books and their prices into her register, "I am perfectly content with where I am."

"You're not getting any younger, dear," Athene would take offense if it weren't for the bright smile that stretched across Margarete's face, "Besides, I think you'll really like this one."

"Alright," Athene tried to swallow the dread building in her chest, "who have you picked this time?"

Margarete was almost giddy as she told Athene about the kind gentleman that she had had the pleasure of meeting at one of the older shops in Diagon Alley the other day, "He works down at Flourish and Blotts."

"How interesting," Athene couldn't help but criticize this mystery man that Margarete had described. He sounded quite boorish - not that she had much room to talk - and altogether much too different for her. Not to mention, he worked at the other bookstore in the area.

"He loves books," Margarete missed - or completely ignored - the look that Athene sent her and continued, "I think that he would be perfect for you."

"I appreciate the thought, Margarete," The 'but' was unspoken, though Margaret visibly deflated at Athene's implicit denial.

"I'll find you someone," The old woman picked up the sack of books she had purchased and turned to leave, "Just you wait."

"Have a nice day," Athene rubbed her temples. Margarete was one of her more frequent visitors, and she always had a new suitor for Athene. She had only ever accepted one of Margarete's invitations and, after the disaster that followed, Athene had never taken an interest in the old witch's words.

Athene sighed again as she locked the door to the store. Margarete had been her last customer of the day, and by the time she had left, the sun had dipped below the horizon, and it was time to head home.

Life was simple for Athene, and that is what she wanted, or at least that's what she told herself. Ever since her parents had been murdered at the hands of You-Know-Who, Athene had sworn off becoming involved anything even remotely dangerous.

So maybe that's why, somewhere deep inside, she yearned for adventure.

Author's Note:
Hey guys! Here's chapter one. Let me know what you think!
Vote and/or comment

Question of the Chapter:
What house are you in?

I'm in Hufflepuff