Nine

"When nothing is sure,
Everything is possible."
- Margaret Drabble

Athene absolutely detested Christmas time. The lights, the decorations, and the happiness made her sink deeper into her hole of self-pity. Enya and Athene had spent their Christmas' at Hogwarts while they were in school, mostly because neither of their family wanted anything to do with them over the holidays. Even when they graduated, they had spent the holidays together away from their families. During the holidays, they never questioned each other on their family life over the holidays; they never thought about what troubles lied at home; they did everything in their power to keep themselves busy.

This year, however, was the first year that Athene was going to spend it alone. Enya detested her parents' annual Christmas Ball and had always found some way to avoid it. But, as she had notified Athene in a letter, her mother had put her foot down this year. Enya would be in attendance, and Athene would not be allowed on the premise. So Athene had to face the holidays on her own.

"You know," Enya's face contorted in the fireplace, "I don't like this any more than you do, Athene."

"You and I both know that I can't face this day alone!" Athene threw her head into her hands, "Even Rita had mercy on me when I was a child and spent the day with me."

Enya sighed. She knew how much these festive times hurt her friend, and it pained her that she wouldn't be able to shield her from the pain."Why not-"

"Hold that thought, Enya," Athene pushed herself up from the fireplace, "Someone is banging on the bookshop door."

"You know what," Enya's face disappeared from the fireplace before returning, "I've gotta go. My mother wants to know what color of drapes she should put up in the ballroom." The fire returned to its normal state, but the knocking didn't stop.

"I'm coming!" Athene brushed the soot off her leggings and maneuvered through the bookshelves. The bookstore was closed the week of Christmas so that Athene could handle her own emotions. It wasn't strange for someone to come and beg for her to open the store, but it was odd for someone to knock so nicely. "Hello?"

To her surprise, Charlie Weasley was stood outside her door dressed in a heavy coat and a wool hat. "Athene," Charlie smiled one of his soul stoping grins, "Can I come in?"

Athene opened the door a bit wider and allowed Charlie to pass by her before closing and re-locking it. She led him through the bookstore and up the stairs to her apartment while they made small talk. Since their first date, the two had spent a fair amount of time together. It seemed, or so Enya said, that Charlie was beginning to break through Athene's outer shell.

"You have a bit of soot on your face," Charlie laughed lightly, "Right there." Athene furiously tried to wipe the substance from her face, but from the look that Charlie was giving her, she could tell that it was doing more harm than good. "Let me help."

Athene had always enjoyed her fair share of romance novels, but she never thought that she would be subject to one of the scenes from her favorite story. Charlie brought his hand up to her face and gently wiped away the offending soot. When he was satisfied, and Athene was sure he was going to step away, he only seemed to get closer. She could feel his breath on her face, and a stray strand of his hair tickled her forehead.

"Charlie," Athene's voice cracked through the electric silence and stirred both parties out of their moment. She couldn't wrap her mind around the fact that, maybe, if she hadn't said anything, Charlie might have kissed her.

"Right," Charlie rubbed his hand over his face, successfully trailing soot along with it. Athene laughed and completely shattered the mood. "What's so funny?" Athene grabbed hold of Charlie's hand and pulled him into the small guest bathroom so that he could see for himself.

"Here," Athene raised a washcloth to his face to wipe away the very clingy soot.

"Why don't you use magic?" Charlie closed his eyes so that Athene wouldn't poke them out.

"My father," Athene stood on her tip toes to get to his forehead, "When I was little, I managed to get into all sorts of trouble. My father would clean me up with a towel. He was a muggle-born, you see, so he did a lot of things the 'long way.'"

Charlie remained silent as Athene finished her job. He had never known much about the mysterious Hufflepuff who befriended the Slytherins. None of the Gryffindors knew much of her. She was a walking enigma, and Charlie was thoroughly enjoying learning every bit of information.

"You must love your parents dearly," Charlie placed his hand over hers, "My parents, when I was little, would send us out to de-gnome the garden after they had patched us up." A smile replaced the frown that had settled on Athene's face.

"How very thoughtful."

"Indeed," Charlie stuck his tongue out at her, "But speaking of parents, I heard that you don't have any plans for Christmas?"

"How did you know?"

Charlie gave her a devilish smirk, "I have my ways."

"You goose," Athene laughed, but motioned for him to continue.

"Would you like to have dinner with my family for Christmas?" Charlie looked so hopeful that saying no didn't even cross Athene's mind. "It won't be on Christmas, of course, because of the Yule Ball. It'll be two days after so that the twins, Ron, Ginny, and some family friends can attend."

"Of course, Charlie," Athene smiled, "I would love to meet the famous Weasley family!"

Author's Note:
Here's a bit of a shorter chapter after the beast that was the last chapter. What length do you prefer?
Also, what did you think of that almost kiss?

Question of the Chapter
What kind of dragon would you want to meet?