Seven

"Small steps in the right direction
can turn out to be the
biggest step of your life."
- Unknown

The snow had come and gone by the time that Athene's next shipment came in, and she was happy to see the sun for once. The sunlight that trickled in through the front windows of Epeolatry was a welcome sight. It warmed the innards of the store, though it did nothing for the chill that had settled along the streets.

Athene had gone out early that morning to treat herself to breakfast. It wasn't often that Athene made the trek out to Louis' Coffee House, but Athene appreciated the normality of it. The shop was a muggle store tucked away down a side street in Muggle London. It was a place that the woman had accidentally stumbled upon during her younger years and, even though she didn't care much for muggle money, she couldn't bring herself not to love the place.

"Ah," the owner of the store, an older man with graying hair, smiled at Athene, "You are looking lovely today, Athene."

"Louis, what would your wife say?" Athene laughed and straightened her shirt self-consciously.

"She would agree with him," Louis' wife rounded the corner with a steaming cup of tea in her left hand and a croissant in her right, "You are looking lovely today."

"Thank you," Athene scanned the menu once more as she spoke, "I would like a cup of your honey lemon tea, please."

Louis nodded his head and tapped away on a muggle machine that he had once called a cash register. "Would you like a raspberry creamsicle with that?"

"I better not," Athene laughed, "or you'll have to roll me out of the shop!" The store owners both chuckled before ushering her into their dining area. It was mostly empty as most people weren't out this early in the morning, so she had her pick of spots. There were booths along one side of the area with windows situated between each seat and tables located throughout the rest.

Athene chose one of the booths that overlooked the side street. It was an easy place to blend in and become invisible while also observing the people. She didn't do it often - at least, not outside of the people in her shop - so observing people traveling through London was something special. There wasn't much to see yet, but soon enough, when the city began to wake, there would be plenty of people to observe.

"How is your book store, darling?" Louis' wife smiled politely as she set down the steaming cup of tea.

"The store is perfect," Athene raised the cup to her lips and took a sip of the burning liquid, "I'm up on sales, and more and more people seem to filter through every day."

"I so wish that we could visit your store." The bookstore owner had run into this line of conversation many times, and she was never truly comfortable with lying. Because they were muggles with no connection to the Wizarding World, there was no way for them to come to her store without getting her in trouble.

"One day," Athene smiled at the older woman, "when we're not both so busy with our work, I'll bring you out to Epeolatry, and you can browse through my inventory."

The woman digested that answer and nodded her head, "Enjoy your tea."

Athene sat in the muggle coffee shop until late morning. It took a lot of effort to pull herself from the comforts of this little hideaway, but she knew that someone needed to open her store. So, with enthusiasm, she walked through Muggle London and then through Diagon Alley. The young bookstore owner would never tire of the sight of Diagon Alley. She loved the hustle of life that flowed through the crowds and the chatter that created a dim roar through the lines of buildings. There was never a dull moment in this beautiful place, and life always seemed to thrive. As she neared Epeolatry, the number of people diminished. There was still an odd witch or wizard milling about the streets, but there was a calmness that infiltrated the magic.