Sixteen

"Hearts can break.
Yes, hearts can break.
Sometimes I think it would be better if we died when they did,
but we don't."
- Stephan King

The apartment above Epeolatry was dark when Athene aparated there. The moonlight that streamed through the curtains was the only source of light. Athene stumbled through the maze of furniture with tears burning in her eyes. Fate had never been kind to the girl; not when her parents died, not when she was sent across the ocean, and not when Charlie Weasley entered her life. Pain had a tight grip on Athene's life and she was finally starting to see it.

"Bloody hell," she didn't remember moving the couch out and her toe didn't appreciate the little bump.

"Athene?" That explained the couch. Enya was spread out on the piece of furniture with a blanket placed precariously on top of her. "What are you doing home?"

Words got caught in her throat and only a muffled sob came out. The tears that she had been holding back cascaded down her cheeks and she crumpled to the floor. She hadn't expected to be back in her home so early either. Enya's slender arms pulled the sobbing girl into her arms and they slowly rocked back and forth on the ground.

"Hush, now," Enya cooed, "You're alright."

When the sun rose the next morning, Athene could hardly move her limbs. Her eyes were swollen and her head pounded uncomfortably. The girl was spread out on the ground and her head was resting on a warm surface. Enya had yet to wake and her arms were wrapped securely around Athene's torso. Athene pushed away, though it did nothing but make Enya pull her closer. She was tripped in Enya's tight grip.

"Enya," Athene's voice was raspy, "Enya, wake up."

"Five more minutes," Enya's grip only got tighter and Athene muffled a groan. "Wait, you're up." Enya released Athene instantly and she bolted into an upright position. Her eyes bore holes into the side of Athene's face for several seconds before she finally asked the ever pressing question, "What happened last night?"

The memories of last night flashed through Athene's brain and the pain returned to her chest. Athene shook her head and attempted to stand, only to land on her arse once again. "I need muggle medicine before we talk about this one." She then proceeded to crawl along the floor towards the bathroom. Alison had introduced them to the magical substance called Tylenol during their first year and it had been a life saver ever since. She made sure to keep a bottle of it in her stockpile just for the situations where magic worked her brain a little too hard.

"I wasn't expecting to see you so soon," Enya pulled Athene to her feet and handed her a glass of water. "But I'm glad that I was still here."

Athene sniffled as the memories returned. Though she had no tears left to cry, her eyes burned. "When I got there, he was with another woman."

Enya went silent and a simmering rage began to roll off of her in waves. "What?"

"She must have been someone who worked with him," Athene downed the glass of water and the small capsule in one gulp, "She was so beautiful, too. How could I compete with someone who not only lives in Romania, but has the body of a goddess." Athene slammed the door of the bathroom as Enya led her back into the living room.

"What a-" A swift knock on the door interrupted the foul words that would have come out of Enya's mouth. "Are you expecting anyone?"

Athene shook her head and fear clawed at her heart. What if it was Charlie behind the door? Enya stalked forward with the grace of lioness and the power of a tornado. She stood before the door, allowing a moment of silence to pass. Both girls subconsciously knew who would be on the other side of that door and only one was looking forward to what was going to come.

The door swung open without a sound and an evil grin appeared on Enya's face. One can never really take the Slytherin out of someone, no matter how hard they might think otherwise. "Charlie." It was clear that he tried to step forward, but Enya shot an arm out and effectively cut him off. "You're not welcome here."

"Enya," Athene couldn't see him, but she could tell that he was desperate, "you have to let me see her. You have to let me explain."

Enya laughed a cold, heartless laugh, "Explain how you were seeing another woman? Your excuses will do nothing but cause more harm. She trusted you and I thought you were better than that." Each word out of Enya's mouth cut Athene like a knife.

"Please."

"Go away, Charlie," Athene moved so that she was a little ways behind Enya, "I don't want to see you right now." Athene could hardly meet his eyes despite his desperate attempts to get her to look at him. He knew what she had seen and how that made him look, and he knew the look in her eyes. Charlie wouldn't be able to get her to listen to him, not yet, anyways. So he did as she asked, he tucked his tail between his legs and he left.

He didn't know it, but Charlie took a piece of Athene's heart with him as he left. As he walked down an empty Diagon Alley, Charlie promised that he would give her space, but he wouldn't stop trying. He couldn't stop trying.

Author's Note:
How long will it take for Athene to listen to Charlie?

Question of the Chapter
Is sleep overrated or nah?