41 | James

4 January 2020

Eliza remembered the day she met William Ray after six years. It was the 22nd of October 2017. His father had put up a tender and Harvey Scott had decided that it was finally time to travel to Hilltown, Scotland and meet William Ray.

She was nervous the entire journey, her heart pounding loud inside her chest. She had kept track of him for all these years. She had read all his books, followed all his social media accounts and watched all his interviews. She had noticed how different he was. He didn't speak much and his words were always flowing with pride for himself. She often felt herself getting upset at his rudeness towards the interviewers who asked him questions. She would stop watching when his arrogance started to get on her nerves but still continue to stalk him everywhere.

When she reached the Ray Household, William's father greeted her. Eliza noticed that William had his mother's face and his father's eyes. Both his parents were of elegant build and looked rather royal for the parents of an author. Joseph Ray was a trader and had accumulated a huge amount of wealth to last a lifetime. Judith Ray was her favourite. She was such a sweet and affectionate lady that Eliza's want for a mother was immediately fulfilled when Judith pulled her for a hug.

As days passed and the two families formed a cordial relationship, Eliza was surprised to realize that she still hadn't met William and expressed her doubts to her father. Her father took the lead and dropped the proposal of Eliza's marriage to William in the middle of a conversation with Joseph as a joke. Harvey was scared at first when Joseph's expressions changed but was taken by surprise when he exclaimed with happiness and hugged Harvey.

Judith Ray was overwhelmed by the news and instantly agreed to the proposal, claiming that they wouldn't find a wife sweeter than Eliza for William. A meeting was arranged and Eliza met William.

She was sitting in the hall of the Ray's posh mansion when William strolled in lazily. He was wearing a black tuxedo and jeans and looking as handsome as ever. He was busy scrolling through his phone and paid little to no attention when his mother introduced him to their guests. Eliza walked up to him, almost involuntarily.

He scanned her from top to bottom. She had dressed her best. Her dress was a red one with a belt that decorated the waist. She had put just the right amount of makeup to get William's attention. She hoped William would like her. All she wanted to do was keep her promise. When William's eyes had done studying her, he smirked.

"You don't have to marry me. I would like to carry that body to my bed anytime," he leaned to whisper in her ear and Eliza froze at his insensitive gesture.

She wanted to slap the smirk off his face right then and there. It was lucky that her father or his parents didn't hear a single thing or else her father would have forgotten all about his beloved 'son' and dragged her out of that house.

"Nice to meet you, William Ray," she said, fighting hard to give him a polite smile.

He took her hand in his and pressed a kiss on her knuckles.

"Pleasure to meet you too, princess." He winked at her.

She didn't know why William ever said 'Yes' to their marriage but she was grateful for it. However, every time William had a conversation with her, he only made her feel bad about herself with his sexual remarks and insensitive comments.

She often felt like she was being used but then she remembered the William she had fallen in love with and almost instantly, all the misdeeds of this new William would be forgiven. She knew that William took her for granted but she waited. She waited for the day when her husband would love her.